Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gas questions

Options
  • 29-08-2016 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying a smev 9222 for the bongo. There are kits available that come with all sink and gas fittings (brother in law is an rgi plumber - he will be doing the actual gas connections). Can anyone point me to regulations or guidlines for installing gas?

Mods - I have a few threads open about some of the jobs im doing - if these would be better served in one overall project style thread let me know.

Thanks,

Comments

lennymc wrote: »
    Mods - I have a few threads open about some of the jobs im doing - if these would be better served in one overall project style thread let me know.

popcorn1-smiley.gif

Whichever you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

in that case I'll leave it as multiple threads as they may help other people

Quick question - would there be any reason why I couldnt use a campingaz cv470 instead of a refillable cylinder? I know i would have a shorter burn time, but it takes up a lot less space.

This

207295?$pd_main_v2$

instead of this

22740.jpg

edit - gas will only be used for cooking. no heater or fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Insurer would be the issue if any, Dolmen usually want photo of the connections between the bottle and the cooker and insist on rigid pipe to the cooker and bottle is supposed to be secured with two straps.

FYI CP250 cartridges are the cheapest gas in small canisters.
    Halfords 4 x CP250 - 1kg is €6 in halfords every summer
    Halfords 1 x cv470 - 0.47kg is €10

For that reason my friend uses two of the cartridge cookers instead of a smev.

You can get the large campingaz cylinders refilled cheaply at various places around the country too,

i will have rigid pipe from hob to gas storage cabinet, then flexi hose to regulator. Looking at the dimensions of the larger cyclinders, I think they will just take up too much space in the bongo.

• Advertisement

i will have rigid pipe from hob to gas storage cabinet, then flexi hose to regulator. Looking at the dimensions of the larger cyclinders, I think they will just take up too much space in the bongo.

With that size cylinder you'll end up carrying at least one if not 2 spares though so factor that into your saving.

Smev burners are 116g gas / hr on full - approx 1.5kwh.

So cv470 will run 1 burner for 4 hour or 2 burners for 2 hours.

Thats enough to boil about 22 1.5l kettles of water**

Might sound a lot but our typical day camped by the beach would be
    few of rounds of tea/coffee
    maybe soup/noodles/fry etc. for lunch
    cooked potatoes/pasta/rice for dinner
    fried/boiled/simmered the main course
    couple of rounds of hot water for washing up
    hot chocolate for kids before bed
    etc.

Gas stove is about 50-60% efficient larger pot size to burner size ratio is better efficiency.

Energy require to boil 1.5l kettle of water from 16C at 55% efficiency =

(4.187 * 1.5 * 84C)/0.55 = 959kj

picked up an empty 907 in halfords, and it was smaller than I thought so going to go with that. Shouldve checked the dimensions.... :)

Another question - does it matter where in the vehicle the gas locker is located once it is vented through the floor, and the cylinder cant move and the locker is sealed. Does the locker have to be any particular material? i am thinking wooden locker, with a draft seal on the door, accessible throug the top. Do I need the strap if the cyclinder fits snugly?

Something like the picture below located midship with the ocker inside a cabinet.

IMG_4148.JPG

Another question - does it matter where in the vehicle the gas locker is located once it is vented through the floor, and the cylinder cant move and the locker is sealed. Does the locker have to be any particular material? i am thinking wooden locker, with a draft seal on the door, accessible throug the top. Do I need the strap if the cyclinder fits snugly?

Something like the picture below located midship with the ocker inside a cabinet.

IMG_4148.JPG

Does't have to be a particular material, common sense would say if it can't move it should be fine but Dolmen just blindly follow the guidelines for their groupscheme which says two straps.

The chances are Dolmen won't cover a bongo anyway so it would be down to whatever insurer you manage to find that will cover it or the motorhome club if you have to go through them.

Advertisement