Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Vs Primera (2005 - 2007) or something er

Options
  • 29-08-2016 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi All

I've after a cheap saloon that is unlikely to break to my heart with repairs.

Will have about €2000 to spend and am looking for a 1.6 petrol as won't be doing much milage.

Any feedback on which one to for or even another car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kfrp wrote: »
    Hi All

I've after a cheap saloon that is unlikely to break to my heart with repairs.

Will have about €2000 to spend and am looking for a 1.6 petrol as won't be doing much milage.

Any feedback on which one to for or even another car?

All depends on year and at that price it is hard to know.

Make sure car is checked over by a mechanic.

Skoda Octavia, ford focus or Mondeo. Avensis is a good choice.

Primera of old are reliable but no longer made at all.

The 2002 onwards are terrible looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

All depends on year and at that price it is hard to know.

Make sure car is checked over by a mechanic.

Skoda Octavia, ford focus or Mondeo. Avensis is a good choice.

Primera of old are reliable but no longer made at all.

The 2002 onwards are terrible looking.

Cheers, I'm not too fussed about the looks as don't think any of the saloons here are really nice to look at.

Just after something that I'll get a few years out of without putting much into it.

Few 06/07 Primeras for less than 2K and plenty of Avensis about too.

Was thinking the Jap cars would be more reliable that the Ford anyway

Primera has a shocking bad turn angle.

Its impossible to get into a space with one go.
    Avensis would be a good choice just get looked at before buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'd go for the Avensis, as long as they're serviced on time they'll last forever and they're a lot nicer than the Primera.

Mondeos are nice, too, and reliable, but the earlier models are well known for oil burning, by 2005 the issue should be well resolved as they were using Mazda MZR engines at that stage, which are utterly reliable.

Things to watch out for are for oil burning, as some VVTis are fond of a drop of oil, that said an 05 model (or newer) shouldn't have this problem. Also check the gearbox, the bearings can go, if it's difficult to get first or the car sounds different when the clutch is engaged, walk away. Otherwise, they're very reliable, just make sure it's in decent condition and shows evidence of having been looked after in its life. The 1.6 is quite anaemic, and quite loud on the motorway, if you're going to be doing lots of motorway speed driving I'd get a 1.8, but otherwise they're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

I'd go for the Avensis, as long as they're serviced on time they'll last forever and they're a lot nicer than the Primera.

Mondeos are nice, too, and reliable, but the earlier models are well known for oil burning, by 2005 the issue should be well resolved as they were using Mazda MZR engines at that stage, which are utterly reliable.

Things to watch out for are for oil burning, as some VVTis are fond of a drop of oil, that said an 05 model (or newer) shouldn't have this problem. Also check the gearbox, the bearings can go, if it's difficult to get first or the car sounds different when the clutch is engaged, walk away. Otherwise, they're very reliable, just make sure it's in decent condition and shows evidence of having been looked after in its life. The 1.6 is quite anaemic, and quite loud on the motorway, if you're going to be doing lots of motorway speed driving I'd get a 1.8, but otherwise they're fine.

Thanks, lots of good advice.

Is there any other similar cars that I might not be thinking of that could be suitable too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not really in that size if you're limiting yourself to 1.6 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

A quick search on Done Deal throws up the following additional options :

Renault Laguna
    Opel Vectra
    Audi A4
    Ford Mondeo
    VW Passat

It's down to personal taste really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Laguna's of that era are best left where they are.
    1.6 saloons won't be too exciting but the Toyota 1.6 vvti is alright once it's up in the revs and very reliable once it's kept serviced.
    Out of those options I'd go with an avensis mainly due to reliability but also resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Redtop wrote: »
    A quick search on Done Deal throws up the following additional options :

Renault Laguna
    Opel Vectra
    Audi A4
    Ford Mondeo
    VW Passat

It's down to personal taste really.
    Jetta might be an option.

Anyone have any idea how reliable, comfortable, economical a 1.6 Vectra would be? I'm in the same kind of market as the OP and would be a big fan of the probable reliability and low maintenance costs of the Avensis, although the horrible boot entrance in the Avensis is off putting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not a petrol head but I've had a 2007 1.6L Avensis since 2009 and just suffered service and tyre/pads replacement cost, bulletproof.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Vectra stay clear of they are absolutely terrible to drive.

They are tail happy and front wheel drive....

Rubbish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I had a 2005 1.6 petrol Nissan Primera I had bought from new and the only thing outside of a normal service was a wheel bearing in 2010.Cost about 180 as its all one unit.
    Really couldn't fault the car, roomy, comfortable on long drives, bit heavy for a 1.6 engine but you're not really going to be tearing up the roads on it..
    Enginewise they're bulletproof. Some people have problems with the window attenuators I think they're called but again nothing mad expensive.
    Someone mentioned parking or turning...never had a problem with it and the rear view camera was a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

cirteon zara picasso desire, comfort, high driving position which offers excellent views of the road etc, realible but has a tag of not being so

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

03 onwards Avensis 1.6

[/thread]

Vectras aren't as nice as the Avensis, however they are reliable (in stark contrast to the 95-02 model, which was rubbish even when new, that was a truly awful car). Lagunas are way too unreliable, Renaults over the past few years seem to be very good, but ones from 10-15 years ago should be in a scrap yard if they already aren't. Ironically the even older Renaults, such as those from the 90s, and earlier, were grand yokes, the first generation Mégane was a grand bus, as was the R19 (that was a great car back in the day, I used to go to school in a Bacarra one with leather seats and it was lovely) and the Clios and Lagunas were always solid old yokes as well.

Personal preference really, but I'd be going with the Avensis if I had to buy a 1.6 large family saloon.

To be honest, 1.6s work much better in the class below; Focuses, Astras, Corollas etc. In that category, the Focus is easily the best as long as it's not the 1.4 of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Vectras aren't as nice as the Avensis, however they are reliable (in stark contrast to the 95-02 model, which was rubbish even when new, that was a truly awful car). Lagunas are way too unreliable, Renaults over the past few years seem to be very good, but ones from 10-15 years ago should be in a scrap yard if they already aren't. Ironically the even older Renaults, such as those from the 90s, and earlier, were grand yokes, the first generation Mégane was a grand bus, as was the R19 (that was a great car back in the day, I used to go to school in a Bacarra one with leather seats and it was lovely) and the Clios and Lagunas were always solid old yokes as well.

Personal preference really, but I'd be going with the Avensis if I had to buy a 1.6 large family saloon.

To be honest, 1.6s work much better in the class below; Focuses, Astras, Corollas etc. In that category, the Focus is easily the best as long as it's not the 1.4 of course.
    Is it though really? I've found the 1.6 in the focus to be really no better than a 1.4 corolla in terms of performance whilst also having worse fuel economy. The focus has a terrible interior as well and it's driving dynamics are vastly overrated.

Definatly in the segment above an avensis is the best option though.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Is it though really? I've found the 1.6 in the focus to be really no better than a 1.4 corolla in terms of performance whilst also having worse fuel economy. The focus has a terrible interior as well and it's driving dynamics are vastly overrated.

Definatly in the segment above an avensis is the best option though.
    The Corolla engine may be good and the seats are quite nice in them so much so that I was all up for getting one of them until I took a test drive in one and couldn't believe how poor the ride quality was in it. I still fancied one so tried a second Corolla elsewhere for a test drive to see if maybe the first one was a lemon. the second one was even worse and that put the kibosh on Corollas for me.

That's odd. Corollas are usually softly enough sprung and comfy.
    Unless the ones you drove were on bigger wheels. Or just in bad Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭selectamatic

tryfix wrote: »
    The Corolla engine may be good and the seats are quite nice in them so much so that I was all up for getting one of them until I took a test drive in one and couldn't believe how poor the ride quality was in it. I still fancied one so tried a second Corolla elsewhere for a test drive to see if maybe the first one was a lemon. the second one was even worse and that put the kibosh on Corollas for me.

Just on this was it a hatch e12 corolla or a saloon. I had the saloon version for a few years and found it a lot comfier/smoother than the hatch for some reason.
    Golfs, astra's and focus' seem more solid on the road but for me that was their downfall as they felt slow and under powered in small engined petrol form where as the corolla felt a lot nippier.

Edit: drop links wear fast on them and bad ones make the suspension very rattly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's odd. Corollas are usually softly enough sprung and comfy.
    Unless the ones you drove were on bigger wheels. Or just in bad Nick
    Might just have been my experience and the seats are indeed nice and soft but I'd consider the ride quality to have been harsh 05 and 06 cars. Maybe the suspension in them was well worn or I'm just very fussy.:pac:

Was delighted with the ride quality in similar aged Astra, Focus and Avensis. I was expecting the Corolla to be a smaller Avensis. In fairness that vintage Corolla seems to have a similar ride quality to the earlier Avensis which ain't nearly as comfortable as the 03+ ones.

• Advertisement

Just on this was it a hatch e12 corolla or a saloon. I had the saloon version for a few years and found it a lot comfier/smoother than the hatch for some reason.
    Golfs, astra's and focus' seem more solid on the road but for me that was their downfall as they felt slow and under powered in small engined petrol form where as the corolla felt a lot nippier.

Edit: drop links wear fast on them and bad ones make the suspension very rattly
    First one was a 06 hatch in great condition, ''twas firm enough but not disastrous but kind of fired you around the place on country roads, the second one was a 05 saloon ( thought it might be better ) it was less well minded and it was much rougher ride wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Was in this market a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't get hands on a nice clean avensis at the time, so ended up plumbing for a mazda 3 instead as much due to time constraints as anything else.
    Have to say first impressions are good. Obviously a little smaller than the avensis but better finished than a focus or corolla IMHO

Each to their own but the corolla is softly sprung and is very comfortable whilst also having a blend of good handling. it's easily more comfortable than a focus or astra from that era.

The mazda 3 isn't on par with the corolla either in terms of performance or build but is a sharper car to drive.

Mazda 3s are lovely to drive, drove one around Mondello a few years ago and it is very impressive dynamically speaking for a front wheel drive car - no surprise as it is a Focus in drag after all. I agree with Colm and John, E12 Corollas are many things, but harsh riding they definitely are not. They're a nice car actually but the Irish spec ones are horrible inside unless they are the ultra rare Sol model (or 06 Luna model in the case of the hatchbacks). That's the main reason I'm not overly keen on them actually, at least with the Focus there was Zetecs and Ghias with a bit of spec and a nice interior. Sure, the Corolla's interior is better constructed but it's so dull with all the black plastic and as a result I much prefer the Focus's interior. Even the Lunas are basic inside in them and the spec was dire even by Irish standards - no remote locking or side airbags on the earlier Terra(ble) models for example.

Tbh the focus interior is pretty dull as well and the quality of the plastics and the finish is a bit on the cheap side.

The corolla feels better put together imo. The strata facelift model hatchback corolla is plentiful enough and offers decent enough spec. Afaik the only major thing it lacks from the luna is climate control(which isn't essential)it still has ac.

Corolla Strata doesn't have AC standard. You could add it on at the time, but we only ever sold 2 or 3 with AC, it was special order.
    Doesn't have rear electric Windows either.

Advertisement