Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prestige or passion? TSMGUY needs your help!

Options
  • 28-08-2016 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

The Situation

I have an offer of English Lit with Film Studies at Trinity for this September. I haven't got an offer from Cambridge (as I didn't want to apply before getting my points) but I've met the entry requirements and have a pretty good shot of getting in.

Basically, this is my problem. I hate the English Lit course at Cambridge. It's like 90% Middle and Old English and Practical Criticism for the first two years followed by a year of (slight) freedom. It's ranked 1st in the world for English, but yeah, the course is dry and boring as hell.

Trinity, on the other hand, is ranked 32nd in the world for English Lit (a very high ranking, but not even top 10, sorry for sounding like a grandiose dickhead but with a course as unemployable as English, prestige is important.) I absolutely love my course. Not only is the English Lit course way more interesting (way more modernist, way more flexible, study abroad option etc.) but I also get to do TSM (hence the name lol) and get a joint degree in Film Studies! Sadly, Cambridge doesn't do joint degrees, it's pure English Lit and that's that.

And, possibly the most pressing pro of TCD, I have a guaranteed place and I get to start next month! As a 19 year old repeat, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eager to begin the college experience. Oh, and I ****ing love Dublin!

TL;DR
    Do a lower-ranked course that I enjoy more THIS year or
    Do a higher-ranked course that I don't particularly fancy next year.

It may seem blatantly obvious that the former choice is the clear one, but you have to bear in mind how many great writers have gone to Cambridge vs Trinity.

What should TSMGUY do? 44 votes

Go to Trinity this year, you eejit!
    0%
    Wait a year for Cambridge, you limey snob!
    100%
    CrookedJackrandylonghornrainbowtroutWashington Irving_Godot_Triceratops Balletadam240610[Deleted User]VonBeaniejuniorcertA97aleatorioCookieCat97Mr Rhode Island RedEims14BoatyJumpShiversXgracieFrigatingBadBannana 44 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Follow your passion, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Follow your passion. Cambridge would just burn you out

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Rather than seeing this as having to decide between "a course in a highly-ranked college VS a course in a college a bit further down the tables" , you should see this as "a course I will enjoy VS a course I will mostly hate"

I understand that job prospects and what's going to look good on the CV in a few years are important, but your own happiness should rank way higher than those factors in making the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I hate this. You do not do something in 3rd-level because you want to get a job, you do it because you want to get a better education in it. Sure, a job is usually a great thing that comes out of your advanced education, but it should be about doing something you want to learn more of. So, you should always pick the thing you want to do most. So, go to Trinity and do the course there. Do well enough in it and there will be doors open to you (post-grads, jobs etc) for you to get a career out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I hate this. You do not do something in 3rd-level because you want to get a job, you do it because you want to get a better education in it. Sure, a job is usually a great thing that comes out of your advanced education, but it should be about doing something you want to learn more of. So, you should always pick the thing you want to do most. So, go to Trinity and do the course there. Do well enough in it and there will be doors open to you (post-grads, jobs etc) for you to get a career out of it!
    I agree 100% with that in theory, but in reality I'm a) working-class (single mother household, currently unemployed) and b) choosing a very impractical course even though I could have done many more practical courses with my points, so in a way I feel like I'm too poor to just "follow my dreams." I'm so confused right now. I don't see how I'm gonna decide by 5:15 tomorrow:(

Thanks to all of you guys, please keep sharing your opinions, they're very helpful. I think a pivotal moment for me was seeing a guy who got 625 contentedly choose UL. You can find absolute goobers in top top institutes and veritable geniuses in places that aren't technically prestigious like UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, your choice is the best Arts degree in the world, or the 32nd best?

Choose either...

endacl wrote: »
    So, your choice is the best Arts degree in the world, or the 32nd best?

Choose either...

Well, now I know exactly what to do!:D:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

TSMGUY wrote: »
    It may seem blatantly obvious that the former choice is the clear one
    As you've described it here, it is, and you've answered your own question.
    but you have to bear in mind how many great writers have gone to Cambridge vs Trinity.
    Cambridge didn't make them great writers, any more than Trinity made Swift, Beckett, Synge, Stoker or Kenneally into great writers. Sure, it gave them the education which helped them, but if all the Cambridge writers had swapped places with all the Trinity writers, it would have changed little.

Remember that historically Cambridge and Oxford were able to pull the cream of the crop from the UK and the empire, whereas Trinity drew mainly from Ireland itself. The number of great writers from Cambridge has far more to do with historical and social factors than it has to do with curriculum or teaching.

One thing I haven't seen you mention is current finances: surely Trinity would financially be easier?

I had thought from earlier posts that Cambridge was your "dream course" but ...
    I hate the English Lit course at Cambridge. It's like 90% Middle and Old English and Practical Criticism for the first two years followed by a year of (slight) freedom.

Don't go to a course you hate the sight of, just don't (though I doubt it's really 90% Middle and Old English, even in Cambridge ... esp. as Perma and I discovered here one night that you had no clue as to what fitted under Old, Middle or Modern English :p:D ... not that you really need to know yet either).

Don't follow prestige rather than passion.

Prestige in the academic world tends to have a good pinch of snobbery thrown in (and I say that as an academic!). Also, as we discussed in a thread earlier in the year, a lot of prestige / college ranking is tied to research funding, and realistically that won't impact on you in the slightest as an undergraduate, except insofar as it funds a staffing model which allows Cambridge and Oxford to have some of the best staff : student ratios in the world.

That staff : student ratio, and being able to claim Cambridge as your alma mater, which in fairness will always impress, are about the only two factors I see in Cambridge's favour in your case.

Against that, there is the very, very convincing argument you yourself made for Trinity in your opening post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

When you graduate and start working I am sure employers will be interested in your portfolio and previous experience.
    It's what you do with your degree that matters.

Can I suggest you try something simple, a decisional balance.
    Pros of Cambridge and cons of trinity on one side of the page and the opposite on the other.
    One side of the list should be longer than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Cambridge is very oversubscribed. The entry requirements alone are likely not enough to guarantee a place. I'd say a lot of people fulfill them but, say, don't impress at interview. What will you do if you don't get the place at Cambridge? Maybe work for a year, apply to Cambrighe and reapply to TCD also (or defer), just to keep your options open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Didn't even have to finish reading your OP before clicking the Trinity option tbh :rolleyes: Follow your passion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Elliott S wrote: »
    Cambridge is very oversubscribed. The entry requirements alone are likely not enough to guarantee a place. I'd say a lot of people fulfill them but, say, don't impress at interview. What will you do if you don't get the place at Cambridge? Maybe work for a year, apply to Cambrighe and reapply to TCD also (or defer), just to keep your options open.

Roughly as many ALevel applicants who go on to get A*A*A* are rejected as accepted from Oxbridge. (Three A*'s being the equivalent of close to maximum points.) If you really care, start in Trinity and apply to UCAS while there. But banking on a place is most unwise.

As you've described it here, it is, and you've answered your own question.

Cambridge didn't make them great writers, any more than Trinity made Swift, Beckett, Synge, Stoker or Kenneally into great writers. Sure, it gave them the education which helped them, but if all the Cambridge writers had swapped places with all the Trinity writers, it would have changed little.

Remember that historically Cambridge and Oxford were able to pull the cream of the crop from the UK and the empire, whereas Trinity drew mainly from Ireland itself. The number of great writers from Cambridge has far more to do with historical and social factors than it has to do with curriculum or teaching.

One thing I haven't seen you mention is current finances: surely Trinity would financially be easier?

I had thought from earlier posts that Cambridge was your "dream course" but ...

Don't go to a course you hate the sight of, just don't (though I doubt it's really 90% Middle and Old English, even in Cambridge ... esp. as Perma and I discovered here one night that you had no clue as to what fitted under Old, Middle or Modern English :p:D ... not that you really need to know yet either).

Don't follow prestige rather than passion.

Prestige in the academic world tends to have a good pinch of snobbery thrown in (and I say that as an academic!). Also, as we discussed in a thread earlier in the year, a lot of prestige / college ranking is tied to research funding, and realistically that won't impact on you in the slightest as an undergraduate, except insofar as it funds a staffing model which allows Cambridge and Oxford to have some of the best staff : student ratios in the world.

That staff : student ratio, and being able to claim Cambridge as your alma mater, which in fairness will always impress, are about the only two factors I see in Cambridge's favour in your case.

Against that, there is the very, very convincing argument you yourself made for Trinity in your opening post.
    God, you're never gonna let me live down calling Beowulf Old English instead of Middle English, are you?:rolleyes: But it's not an exaggeration, here's the course for the first 2 years:
    Mandatory modules
    English Literature and its Contexts 1300-1550
    Shakespeare
    And you choose four from the following:

Practical Criticism and Critical Practice
    Early Medieval Literature and its Contexts 1066-1350
    English Literature and its Contexts 1500-1700
    English Literature and its Contexts 1660-1870
    English Literature and its Contexts 1830-1945, or English Literature and its Contexts 1870-Present

Roughly as many ALevel applicants who go on to get A*A*A* are rejected as accepted from Oxbridge. (Three A*'s being the equivalent of close to maximum points.) If you really care, start in Trinity and apply to UCAS while there. But banking on a place is most unwise.

Exactly, there are so many more applicants than places, exam results alone won't guarantee a place. I don't think anyone ever assumes they will be accepted to Oxford or Cambridge. Everyone needs a contingency plan.

Exactly, there are so many more applicants than places, exam results alone won't guarantee a place. I don't think anyone ever assumes they will be accepted to Oxford or Cambridge. Everyone needs a contingency plan.
    1 in 4 applicants for English Lit get accepted, compared to say, 1 in 8 for economics. The only courses less competitive than English are History, Theology and Classics with a 1:3 ratio. It really depends on the course. Plus, sciences and economics have an A*A*A entry requirement compared to A*AA for the humanities, so it's really not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you don't like the course it won't matter how prestigious the college is, you will be miserable.

If you don't like the course it won't matter how prestigious the college is, you will be miserable.
    Starting to realize that!

1 in 4 applicants for English Lit get accepted, compared to say, 1 in 8 for economics. The only courses less competitive than English are History, Theology and Classics with a 1:3 ratio. It really depends on the course. Plus, sciences and economics have an A*A*A entry requirement compared to A*AA for the humanities, so it's really not that bad.

1 in 4 is still pretty darn competitive though of course not all the applicants will get the required grades, so that cuts down the field even more. But it's always prudent to have a back-up. I've just finished reading a book by a first class honours Oxford English graduate and she is quite brilliant. This is the calibre of people who study English at Oxford and Cambridge.

I'd have accepted the TCD course and deferred. People will consider that selfish, I realise, but sometimes one needs to be. The points race is brutal but once someone earns the required points, it's up to them what they do with their course offer.

1 in 4 is still pretty darn competitive though of course not all the applicants will get the required grades, so that cuts down the field even more. But it's always prudent to have a back-up. I've just finished reading a book by a first class honours Oxford English graduate and she is quite brilliant. This is the calibre of people who study English at Oxford and Cambridge.

I'd have accepted the TCD course and deferred. People will consider that selfish, I realise, but sometimes one needs to be. The points race is brutal but once someone earns the required points, it's up to them what they do with their course offer.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!:D Was it by Victoria Coren by any chance?

Thanks for the vote of confidence!:D Was it by Victoria Coren by any chance?

Well, I have no idea of your abilities! I'm just saying the bar is high. It was Kate Gross, she wrote a memoir when she was dying of cancer. I have never seen someone so in love with the written word as her before and with such a breadth of knowledge on the subject.

• Advertisement

God, you're never gonna let me live down calling Beowulf Old English instead of Middle English, are you?:rolleyes:
    The other way round! :rolleyes:
    But it's not an exaggeration, here's the course for the first 2 years:
    Mandatory modules
    English Literature and its Contexts 1300-1550
    Shakespeare Modern (Early Modern, if you want to break it down further)
    And you choose four from the following:

Practical Criticism and Critical Practice
    Early Medieval Literature and its Contexts 1066-1350
    English Literature and its Contexts 1500-1700 (Early) Modern
    English Literature and its Contexts 1660-1870 Modern
    English Literature and its Contexts 1830-1945, or English Literature and its Contexts 1870-Present Modern
    :p

More of an emphasis on earlier stuff than most universities all right; I would love it tbh. :o

The other way round! :rolleyes:

:p

More of an emphasis on earlier stuff than most universities all right; I would love it tbh. :o

"all right", is that Old English for "Alright" now that we're being smartasses?:D

Pssshhhh, I guess as much as I love literature, the course just isn't right for me. I don't have much of an interest in the part of the literary canon that Cambridge focuses on but I do love the University and the third year (part II of the Tripos.)

I think I have my solution - I'll do Philosophy at Cambridge for 2 years and then switch to English in Year 3!

Thank you for the many sensible suggestions, guys. It seems I'm even more of a limey snob than an eejit, and I'm a fairly big eejit:pac:

EDIT: Wtf, "all right" is apparently the proper form of "alright" when written. All righty then.

EDIT: Wtf, "all right" is apparently the proper form of "alright" when written. All righty then.
    54311170.jpg

54311170.jpg

I want to slap you in the face and slam your head against a desk, so take your pick:D

Like my t-shirt? :p

204450.65.e763bS7YyAgA-640x640-b-p-eee.jpg

Like my t-shirt? :p

204450.65.e763bS7YyAgA-640x640-b-p-eee.jpg

God, I bet the women can't resist you wearing that ultra cool T-shirt and reading Canterbury Tales like a boss, randylongscarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

God, I bet the women can't resist you wearing that ultra cool T-shirt and reading Canterbury Tales like a boss, randylongscarf.

Well once it's not Catcher in the Rye......:pac:

Boy, was I wrong about Chaucer, Randy. I found this cool line by line Harvard translation of Canterbury Tales and it's actually interesting as hell. With the kinds of professors they have over at Cambridge, I'll probably love the course. English at Cambridge it is (hopefully:D)

http://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/teachslf/tr-index.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In 'ye olden days' we all read Chaucer, albeit abridged.
    Three library books every two weeks on top of whatever we were reading at school. Those were the days.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    In 'ye olden days' we all read Chaucer, albeit abridged.
    Three library books every two weeks on top of whatever we were reading at school. Those were the days.
    Yeah, but Netflix didn't exist back then. Between watching Dallas and The Riordans, your generation had feck all else to do for entertainment!

Advertisement