Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Light Traffic Camera in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Hi all,

My friend wants to know if there any traffic light cameras which are in operation to catch offenders in Limerick at the moment.

Thanks in advanced for your reply.

Hello My friend, I do not believe there are any cameras used to detect traffic offences. There are cameras for traffic light automation AFAIK.

Of course I would have no reason to come to the attention of such red light jumper cameras, so they could well be EVERYWHERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They would make a fortune in this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hellobig666

bazz26 wrote: »
    They would make a fortune in this town.

So you're saying there aren't any?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not yet but put it this way, when they do introduce them they ain't going to put an ad in the local papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hellobig666

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not yet but put it this way, when they do introduce them they ain't going to put an ad in the local papers.

Thanks for your reply. Hope fully they haven't installed any yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

A lady I know recently was suckered by a red light jumper in Limerick city. The light jumper and his mother went all out taking photos of the two cars and the general scene, wouldn't admit liability and aggressively blamed the lady I know. She claims that when she rang the gardai after the accident that they were already aware of what had happened and they had already seen footage (they assured her over the phone that she needn't worry as they saw she wasn't to blame)

Gardaí arrived at the scene and promptly told them to drop the act and informed all present that they had already viewed the accident from multiple angles and that the accident had been caused by a red light jumper.

They have the means to do so in the city, could easily spend time monitoring the camera feeds in order to issue sanctions on the ever increasing band of moronic red light jumpers in the city, but it's not worth their while. But if an accident occurs or a near miss is reported however then they will very quickly be able to check footage.

The city is littered with surveillance, thy can probably view anything and everything that happens at light junctions. Whether or not these camera's are actually capable of identifying vehicles down to license plate detail is another matter, but I would suspect maybe not?

TLDR; Red light jumpers unfortunately probably need not worry unless they cause an accident or be reported by someone who provides sufficient supporting information (inc. REG plate no.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

@ HanaleiJ5N T If your friends accident occured in the city center, then the Gardai would have used the security cameras rather than the traffic light cams to see what had occured.

The other issue is that there is no legislation in place to use the camers on traffic lights to actually prosecute red light jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

love to see these introduced nationwide, its far to common an occurance nowadays, just back from florida and saw the flash go off many a day at certain junctions as they photographed offenders fine is $262.00 + points I'm guessing on licence
    you'd be thinking twice after forking over that kind of dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

No - there are no red light cameras on normal Irish roads. I believe there is a plan in place to put them on roads in Dublin that cross Luas tracks due to the number of red light jumpers colliding with trams - but these would be the first.

Many intersections in Ireland have surveillance cameras (you can view these live yourself at https://www.nratraffic.ie/cams/). Others have traffic detection cameras for traffic light automation. Red light cameras are much larger installations that tend to be a fair distance away from the traffic lights themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I've had a couple of close calls with people not stopping after their light turns red and cutting across me as I pull off when my light is green. I've had to stop a couple of times or I'd have hit the idiots. Funnily enough, the people scowl or give me the fingers when I beep at them, despite them completely being in the wrong...

It's getting ridiculous at this stage. It's not even half a second now, it's 3 or 4 seconds and they're still not stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

v3ttel wrote: »
    I've had a couple of close calls with people not stopping after their light turns red and cutting across me as I pull off when my light is green. I've had to stop a couple of times or I'd have hit the idiots. Funnily enough, the people scowl or give me the fingers when I beep at them, despite them completely being in the wrong...

It's getting ridiculous at this stage. It's not even half a second now, it's 3 or 4 seconds and they're still not stopping.

It's getting worse indeed, normally when I'm going through an amber(only when its too late to stop safely), two or three cars behind me keep going!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's getting worse indeed, normally when I'm going through an amber(only when its too late to stop safely), two or three cars behind me keep going!

I've lost count of the amount of times I've nearly been rear ended while stopping at an orange light. And I get filthy looks from the driver behind every time.

Never fear! People doing 143kph in dry conditions on the motorway will be relentlessly pursued!

Spotted a classic this evening. Traffic lights on pedestrian crossing from arthurs quay sc to the park start flashing amber while still plenty of pedestrians crossing. Immediately some ape starts beeping. Who lets these people out like?

Ignorant AND wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

dont mention the cars that go three feet then suddenly stop, i nearly rear ende two vechicles on sunday in the space of five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The traffic in the city centre moves far too fast.

If William Street was reduced to one lane for traffic (the second lane is fairly redundant as it is anyway) and the footpaths widened, the effect would be to slow down the traffic.

Same goes for O'Connell Street and Henry Street. Henry Street could be made two-way again. This would reduce the 'high way' effect and would slow traffic down and be safer for pedestrians and cyclists. O'Connell Street is set to be pedestrianised to some degree. Will be interesting to see what they come up with, but at the moment the traffic moves far too fast along it. In general it is far too dominated by vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

zulutango wrote: »
    The traffic in the city centre moves far too fast.

If William Street was reduced to one lane for traffic (the second lane is fairly redundant as it is anyway) and the footpaths widened, the effect would be to slow down the traffic.

Same goes for O'Connell Street and Henry Street. Henry Street could be made two-way again. This would reduce the 'high way' effect and would slow traffic down and be safer for pedestrians and cyclists. O'Connell Street is set to be pedestrianised to some degree. Will be interesting to see what they come up with, but at the moment the traffic moves far too fast along it. In general it is far too dominated by vehicles.

Nonsense, in my opinion. This is what's labelled 'traffic calming ahead' in rural areas, and amounts to a dangerous slalem. Make conditions more dangerous in order to make it safer? How very Irish indeed.

Education - for drivers, cyclists AND pedestrians. The only way. And real, enforced penalties.

g

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭Ericdravancrow

Does it matter if there is a camera or not, stop at red....no matter what, someday your life could depend on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

godfrey wrote:
    Make conditions more dangerous in order to make it safer? How very Irish indeed.

How is it making conditions more dangerous? It's making them safer, full stop. Nothing 'Irish' about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement