Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 (b6) starting problem

Options
  • 28-08-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Petrol 1.8t A4 wouldn't start Friday morning (not batt as turning over).
    Eventually after about 15 or so goes, it went and spluttered a bit before eventually being ok.

Drove it 3 more times that day with about 2-3 hours between each drive and had no issue starting.

Started car again this evening and had similar starting issues. Again started after 2 hours and started fine.

Plugs haven't been changed in abut 40k but they are the long life plugs and should last longer.

I noticed a hum/whine from the rear of the car, particularly noticeable in the boot that's leading me to think fuel pump is on the way out.

I read that the humming noise could actually be the filter blocked.

Anyone had similar experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Petrol 1.8t A4 wouldn't start Friday morning (not batt as turning over).
    Eventually after about 15 or so goes, it went and spluttered a bit before eventually being ok.

Drove it 3 more times that day with about 2-3 hours between each drive and had no issue starting.

Started car again this evening and had similar starting issues. Again started after 2 hours and started fine.

Plugs haven't been changed in abut 40k but they are the long life plugs and should last longer.

I noticed a hum/whine from the rear of the car, particularly noticeable in the boot that's leading me to think fuel pump is on the way out.

I read that the humming noise could actually be the filter blocked.

Anyone had similar experience?

Thanks

Could be crankshaft sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭ferg01

Moanin wrote: »

I had similar problems, got the sensor fixed and all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Moanin wrote: »

Don't think so, no eml and replaced it about a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Ordered an OEM fuel filter for €48. Can hasn’t had this replaced in 11 years or 100K so prob not a bad idea to change it.

I got quoted €487 for a fuel pump from Audi and its €515 for a pump on Mick's Garage. Couldn’t believe the price TBH.

In case filter doesn’t work, are there aftermarket or recon alternatives to buying a new pump and would it be as good as the OEM?

Advertisement