Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A feel good motoring story for today

Options
  • 28-08-2016 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭

boot_zpsfdvoujcm.jpg~original

Thank the lord for good people is all I can say.

Was in Carlingford today kayaking for the first time (the BMW), parked on the sea front. Came back to the car afterwards and threw our gear in the boot, which also happened to have an expensive laptop and DSLR camera in it. Bootlid has an auto close button, so I pressed it as normal and down it closed.

Or so I thought.

We went off for food and came back a full hour later and from a distance I could see a couple standing beside my open boot. Bollox I thought!

They had seen the boot wide open and stopped to look around for the owner. They stood beside it for 25 minutes out of their sunny Sunday afternoon to make sure no one took anything out, waiting for me to hopefully come back. Not sitting on the wall or nearby, standing right beside it. Pressing the button closed the boot no problem, but it kept opening again a few seconds later all by itself.

They even rang the Gardai to let them know there was a boot wide open with lots of unattended gear. In hindsight I should have given them something, I thanked them several times and shook their hands.

What wonderful people. Plus all the other people who potentially walked past for maybe 45 minutes before that and took nothing.

Once i unlocked the car with the key, the boot is now back to normal.

So Dean and wife, thanks so much if you're out there, i'd be snookered without that camera and laptop!

Will be sure to pass on the good karma. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that was very kind of them. any idea what caused the issue with the boot opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

thats what we need more GOOD stories than theusual depressing stuff we hear about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Nice to see decent people still out there :P You need to get those 2 Irish flags back on the bonnet, looks very cool with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sweet, goes to show that there's far more good people out there than bad, sound of them to stay around. Carlingford is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

that was very kind of them. any idea what caused the issue with the boot opening?

Not sure yet, there is an automatic reverse function for the lid if something prevents it from closing fully and it will open back up itself, but I don't remember seeing anything sticking out.

Will connect the laptop tomorrow and pull some codes, be interesting to see why it happened.

The bizarre thing is the gentleman that waited had a BMW that did the exact same thing. What are the chances of him walking by? Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

knowing my luck could just see me standing by someones car with boot open keeping a eye on it for him, then spend the 10 mins trying to explain to him i was not robbing it i was looking after it as he shouts, "you trying to rob my car"!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Karma, it's called. You will do something similiar in the future based on your experience today and that person will then carry the baton onwards. Glad to see it's alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What are the chances of him walking by? Madness.

You couldn't give odds on that happening. Mad..

I am a gobsh1ite.

The backpack I brought with me for kayaking was the same backpack I had when I was on holidays in France; I had the spare remote key in the front pocket and it was still in there from June.

So when I threw the backpack with the spare key inside into the boot and closed it and walked away, the car detected there was a key being locked into the boot and so popped it open again. So the boot lid was wide open for over an hour!

Mystery solved anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Nice story, and good to know there's still plenty of decent people around!

• Advertisement

Sure is. I did some testing and its an interesting system.

There's a dedicated antenna in the roof of the boot compartment for detecting a rogue key in the boot. You can lock a spare key in the car or in the boot, with the other key in hand no problem and everything stays locked.

However if the car was already locked and all you do is pop the boot, leave a key inside and press the button on the lid to close it, it won't let you do it. Seems they though of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Eh, Ireland - no matter how much the Irish badmouth themselves, this is still a very decent place to be. Most people aren't total gobsh1tes, quite the opposite in fact.

However, you should have bought them a beer or two :D (I believe it's a very acceptable "thank you" gift here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The car should have made some noise when it did that though. To grab attention.

Interesting system.

On a similar note I came back to underground car park the other day and there was a neighbours Audi with the drivers door wide open. I've spoken to the guy before and anytime I see him he has his arms full with products related to his work.
    I guess he must have walked away without closing the door at all.

Of course when I closed it all I got for my trouble was a deafening from the cars alarm. Lol

The car should have made some noise when it did that though. To grab attention.

Interesting system.

On a similar note I came back to underground car park the other day and there was a neighbours Audi with the drivers door wide open. I've spoken to the guy before and anytime I see him he has his arms full with products related to his work.
    I guess he must have walked away without closing the door at all.

Of course when I closed it all I got for my trouble was a deafening from the cars alarm. Lol

I've done that before with an s-type, closed the door after its already been locked and the alarm goes off.

Mine probably would make a noise, but all beeps are coded off like most EU cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmcato

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Eh, Ireland - no matter how much the Irish badmouth themselves, this is still a very decent place to be. Most people aren't total gobsh1tes, quite the opposite in fact.

However, you should have bought them a beer or two :D (I believe it's a very acceptable "thank you" gift here!)

As an immigrant myself, agree on all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I came back to my car after a walk to see the car next to me had the drivers door left open,i had passed an elderly couple on the walk so closed in the door and ran down after them it was their car wife driving and they were all thanks.

Advertisement