Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking tickets in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 28-08-2016 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was wondering if someone in here knows about paying a parking ticket from up North when living down south.
    I was away for a holiday a couple of weeks ago and got a fine while parking at the Giants Causeway. What are my options apart from paying it? What can they do if I don't pay? I won't be up there again for a few years

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you want reassurance it's ok for you to not pay just because you're a southerner?
    It's not.

Who issued the ticket? If it was the Causeway company they probably won't follow through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

biko wrote: »
    Do you want reassurance it's ok for you to not pay just because you're a southerner?
    It's not.

Who issued the ticket? If it was the Causeway company they probably won't follow through.

No it was the local County Council or something

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stinger31 wrote: »
    No it was the local County Council or something

The ticket won't disappear. If you ever have interaction with the PSNI you'll be arrested and brought to court, if it's evening or weekend they place you in the cells if you don't have a NI address till the court sits again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Del2005 wrote: »
    The ticket won't disappear. If you ever have interaction with the PSNI you'll be arrested and brought to court, if it's evening or weekend they place you in the cells if you don't have a NI address till the court sits again.
    That's scaremongering.

You do know that it is a very basic right for someone to defend themselves in any court proceedings - even in Northern Ireland.

So zero chance of your scenario.

Tickets in NI work same a tickets here for Northern Reg cars. - Information is exchanged between the two areas under an agreement in 2010. If you don't pay the fine, an inceased fine is applied and sent to you, if you don't pay that, they can take court action the same way as here and apply the fine and if you then ignore that, they can stop you in Northern Ireland and insist on payment before allowing you go further.

If necessary they will clamp the car of tow it way until the fines are paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you are wrong. If you are arrested in the UK and can't give an address to bail you to, they will hold you until they can put you before the Court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just pay the fine OP. Look at it this way, if it was reversed I bet you wouldn't be happy to see a NI-reg driving mate getting away with parking anyway he liked because he just ignored the tickets.

[Monday Morning Pre-Coffee Rant ahead]
    This thread comes up almost every week. The amount of people in this country who are always looking for "the loophole" really annoys me. It's no wonder the place is the state it is as everything therefore runs on that same "be grand" attitude!
    I'm not saying I'm an angel - I'm a bit fond of the loud pedal for example when the motorway conditions allow for it.. but if/when I get that letter through the door I'll just grumble about it and pay up all the same.
    [/MMP-CR]

you are wrong. If you are arrested in the UK and can't give an address to bail you to, they will hold you until they can put you before the Court.

You have to commit an arrestable offence first. A local parking infringement is not an arrestable offence.

Only after such offence gets into the magistrates court and the person ignores the ruling of the court, then an arrestable offence (ignoring direction of the court) is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

not paying a fine is the matter at hand and I'd say that is an arrestable offence.

not paying a fine is the matter at hand and I'd say that is an arrestable offence.

Its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Walter2016 wrote: »
    You have to commit an arrestable offence first. A local parking infringement is not an arrestable offence.

Only after such offence gets into the magistrates court and the person ignores the ruling of the court, then an arrestable offence (ignoring direction of the court) is there.

"Arrestable offence" comes into play for powers of arrest without warrant here only, but not in Northen Ireland (or the UK as a whole). It's a specific term for an offence which potentially can carry a sentence for 5 years or more. Arrestable offence was removed from NI law in 2007 a year after it was removed from the rest of the UK.

Police in NI can arrest you without warrant simply for an "offence". Failure to pay a parking ticket is an offence. They can even arrest you simply for the purpose of ascertaining someone's name whom they suspect has or will commit an offence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement