Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend a Laptop for Mechanical Engineering (Trinity College)

Options
  • 28-08-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Hi my friend is starting college in September and he's in Panic Stations looking for a laptop. There are so many out there and I'm not much help!

Does anyone here know what laptop or even what spec he should go for? His budget is €800 max but he's got very little saved so if he can get one for less that does the same job he'd go for it.

Websites disagree. Some say i5 4gb RAM is sufficient. Others insist on i7 8gb. Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would guess that he would be fine with any i5 and 8GB of RAM. Unless he needs to run very specific and demanding software I just can't see the need for more.

An Asus ultrabook would be worth a look, should be possible to find for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TCD is well supplied with labs available to UG students, good chance you will only need to take notes with your own laptop.

I'd get in touch with a 2nd/3rd year student to confirm, then buy a thin and light, save your back.

Advertisement