Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert French query

Options
  • 28-08-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding people who studied/are studying French for the LC. I'm starting 6th year and currently doing honours French in school but it takes up a lot of time and is a subject that I don't like and will almost certainly be my worst exam subject. My question is does anybody know whether it's doable or even a good idea to drop French in school and get grinds in it outside of school at a pass level? My reasoning behind this is that I won't be counting it as one of my points subjects anyway I'm just looking for a pass to meet any course requirements I may need, also I think the 6 classes a week id spend doing it at school would be a complete waste of time if I was to do pass as I could be spending that 4 or so hours on subjects that actually count for something. All opinions are appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I don't think a school would just let a student opt out of a subject they have already done for a year in exchange for 6 free classes a week...but I could be wrong.

But besides a friend of mine did a 1 hour grind every 2 weeks for pass French with the intention of just passing the subject for the language requirement, and he did. So, yes, it is doable, but I'd imagine you'll have to keep going to your French classes in school regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jimbob994

I don't think a school would just let a student opt out of a subject they have already done for a year in exchange for 6 free classes a week...but I could be wrong.

But besides a friend of mine did a 1 hour grind every 2 weeks for pass French with the intention of just passing the subject for the language requirement, and he did. So, yes, it is doable, but I'd imagine you'll have to keep going to your French classes in school regardless.

Thanks for the reply, I know other people in my school that have dropped subjects in 6th year, while I'm not 100% sure it's allowed for French id say there's a good possibility it would be. Did your friend also keep French up in school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Allowing students out of timetabled class on a regular basis is an insurance nightmare for the school.

There is generally not an issue if you stay in the class and then just don't take the exam, or take it at a lower level, but students being outside the classroom is a problem for normal schools.

spurious wrote: »
    Allowing students out of timetabled class on a regular basis is an insurance nightmare for the school.

There is generally not an issue if you stay in the class and then just don't take the exam, or take it at a lower level, but students being outside the classroom is a problem for normal schools.

Either way I've no problem with it because I just don't want to have to do the pointless work. I can, regardless of where I spend the class, use the time for my other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You'd definitely pass OL French with a few grinds but why don't you just stay in the class and tell your teacher you'd like to do Ordinary? You can just put in minimal effort to get by and sit the exam at pass. I don't think your school will leave you drop French if you still intend to sit a French exam tbh.

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    You'd definitely pass OL French with a few grinds but why don't you just stay in the class and tell your teacher you'd like to do Ordinary? You can just put in minimal effort to get by and sit the exam at pass. I don't think your school will leave you drop French if you still intend to sit a French exam tbh.

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but let me give you an example, Tomorrow I have a double French class right in the middle of my day and I'm dreading it as 40 minutes of it ordinarily is enough to kill half my Brain cells 😂 Say I did pass French for that class instead, I'm still spending 80mins in a class for a subject that I could pass with an hour of grinds a week and keep in mind I have 6 such classes a week. The 4 hours in total time saved would give me a much needed head start on homework and study, and there's my logic in a nutshell.

Advertisement