Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo black smoke issue

Options
  • 28-08-2016 11:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭

I've a 2007 new model 1.8 TDCI Mondeo hatchback. 135 000 miles. Seems to be quite a lot of thick black smoke from the exhaust when accelerating from time to time. I always see a huge plume behind me when passing out but not all the time. Do the injectors need to be tightened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,273 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any idea when the air filter was last changed? Have a look at the air intake pipes around the air filter to see they are not loose or split.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Usually due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen).

Could be faulty injectors, faulry injector pump, dirty air cleaner, turbocharger or intercooler fault, problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR.

Faulty EGR is common on the pre 2009 Mondeo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

Any idea when the air filter was last changed? Have a look at the air intake pipes around the air filter to see they are not loose or split.

As recently as 4 months ago so can't be that. I'll check the pipes.

GM228 wrote: »
    Usually due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen).

Could be faulty injectors, faulry injector pump, dirty air cleaner, turbocharger or intercooler fault, problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR.

Faulty EGR is common on the pre 2009 Mondeo.

Would that not be very expensive to rectify? As it only happens now and again, maybe it's not that serious?

Also when I explain this to local mechanic's they have no interest and tell me it will be grand and keep driving. Don't seem to want the hassle of it. How do you identify the problem, take the head apart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,273 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you were to do a motorway run of 40/50 miles would it then stop for drives after that for a week or so? What would your normal driving style be are you just driving at low speeds around urban areas?

If you were to do a motorway run of 40/50 miles would it then stop for drives after that for a week or so? What would your normal driving style be are you just driving at low speeds around urban areas?

This is exactly it. I could take a run up the M7 and see no smoke for a week or 2. Generally I'm just doing low speeds in urban areas.

Advertisement