Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sequence - Windows 10 upgrade and change of Anti Virus

Options
  • 28-08-2016 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all. I've just bought a new Asus Zenbook Pro which in UX501VW-FJ098T UK spec unfortunately comes with McAfee Livesafe and Windows 10 Home. I want to replace these with Kaspersky and Windows 10 Pro.

Guess I wondering if there's stuff to watch out for. No idea if it matters, but it presumably might make sense to get the McAfee off first before updating the Windows and then installing the Kaspersky over everything.

Any special kinks to look out for? It seems there's a post uninstall clean up tool and definite procedure required to shift McAfee: http://tiny.cc/ho6eey

An Asus support guy by the way figures that once any of this was done that the warranty as it pertains to the software is gone...

PS Can't say a lot yet about the product (surprising what it found on my old IMac though despite the claims for OSX), but Kaspersky judging by their tech support are a pretty efficient bunch - competent and to the point.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Software warranty is worthless anyway. If I were you I would clean install Windows 10 Pro and work from there. It seems the best way of doing this. Windows is good with drivers these days so it should automatically install the ones you need, but there's also nothing stopping you from downloading the Win10 drivers from the Asus site and saving them to a USB stick.

This will mean that you will get rid of any worthless bloat that Asus installed with the system and not have to deal with removing McAfee. All of this presumes you have a Windows 10 Pro license.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ondablade

Thanks again A. It's a fairly complex procedure to do a clean install, but seems to make sense for the reasons you say. Will have to Google some 'how tos' and study carefully before heading down that road since it involves some fancier procedures involving the BIOS etc. It looks like I'll need a remote hard drive too, but that's OK as I need to buy one for back ups anyway.

The question I haven't been able to figure out yet is whether I can extract a product key for the Windows Home already installed on the notebook, and by using that avoid paying the full price for Windows 10 Pro. I'm in effect just upgrading, not buying from scratch...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

ondablade wrote: »
    Thanks again A. It's a fairly complex procedure to do a clean install, but seems to make sense for the reasons you say. Will have to Google some 'how tos' and study carefully before heading down that road since it involves some fancier procedures involving the BIOS etc. It looks like I'll need a remote hard drive too, but that's OK as I need to buy one for back ups anyway.

The question I haven't been able to figure out yet is whether I can extract a product key for the Windows Home already installed on the notebook, and by using that avoid paying the full price for Windows 10 Pro. I'm in effect just upgrading, not buying from scratch...

Other option is doing a clean install of Windows 10 home and then upgrade to Pro. You'll avoid the bloatware and McAfee that way too.

Advertisement