Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake caliper piston

Options
  • 27-08-2016 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭

Can a caliper piston be compressed without the wind tool that can be brought??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I presume it's a rear calliper. What kind of car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes, but you have to know which way it winds back. The front ones mostly press in, I used a sturdy pliers to jam them back in, but rear ones either twist and press simultaneously or can be wound back with an Allen key via an opening at the back of the caliper. It's not easy, requires a good bit of elbowgrease and it helps if you know what type it is and how it operates. What car and front or rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

I bought a wind back tool from an Irish online company for €30 delivered! Has paid for itself already as iv used it 3 or 4 times and friends have used it, just buy one and you will have it forever hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

Front breaks 07 astra. Would A vice grips work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd buy a wind tool. Some caliper pistons wind in clockwise/anticlockwise (even the front calipers on my C5 have a wind direction).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I'd buy a wind tool. Some caliper pistons wind in clockwise/anticlockwise (even the front calipers on my C5 have a wind direction).

These ones don't go clockwise/anticlockwise. Straight push in

cena wrote: »
    These ones don't go clockwise/anticlockwise. Straight push in

You can push it in with a bar or a lever of some sort, no need for a tool so!

Just leave brake filler cap open while doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Mycroft H wrote: »

That's because the Handbrake uses the Front Brakes on your C5.

edit; not having a go at yourself. Just pointing out that it's practically always the Handbrake pistons that need to be turned as they are pushed back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I use a large pair of grips or a 26 spanner with a mole wrench* attached to twist it. It's fairly simple to do. As said, watch that fluid level though, you don't want it overflowing.

*aka vice grips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    That's because the Handbrake uses the Front Brakes on your C5.

edit; not having a go at yourself. Just pointing out that it's practically always the Handbrake pistons that need to be turned as they are pushed back.

No you're right. It's been so long since I've done brakes on other than a C5 or an Xantia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭adocholiday

A C-Clamp works for some cars. If the piston just presses in then it's a cheap and effective option

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Yes, but you can push the piston back without a wind-back tool.

Advertisement