Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP referral letter to consultant waiting time?

Options
  • 27-08-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I recently got a referral from my GP to see an ENT consultant in Tallaght - but that's nearly 3 weeks ago and my appointment letter still hasn't arrived. I'm getting worried that it fell through somehow, I know it'll probably be a long wait even when I get the letter so I'd like to know when. Is this normal to wait so long just for the letter?
    Also... I went public - is it much faster to go private? Sorry for all the questions... new to all this and a bit anxious.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I am waiting 14 months to see one!

There is a document in circulation monthly that will give you an idea of waiting times, maybe someone here can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 X.Libertines.x

myshirt wrote: »
    I am waiting 14 months to see one!

There is a document in circulation monthly that will give you an idea of waiting times, maybe someone here can help?

Aw ****e! Sorry to hear you're waiting so long. Thanks for the reply, that list sounds useful.

Anyone know anything about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

From my wife's recent experiences its apparently a nearly a 3 year wait for tallaght.
    She literally rang every day till she was finally given an appointment due a hearing assessment showing a serious issue that they was gave an appointment quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

ENT is one of the worst waiting lists nationally for adults. If your letter is triaged as routine and not soon or urgent, you will be waiting 18months-2/3 years. When your letter is sent in it goes to doctors who categorise it in terms of priority and confirm it's addressed/re-addressed to the right consultant. It's then sent back to appointments who log it and put you on the waiting list. The system that the HSE use doesn't allow appointments to be made more than a year in advance so you won't get an appointment letter if you are not urgent but you may get a letter of acknowledgement.

Rest assured I have dealt with patients in outpatients who were rang to come in to the next clinic when their letter was looked at. The system is under massive pressure but it still works when it needs to for urgent cases. HSE hospitals are also validating their waiting lists periodically to clear people off them who don't need to be seen anymore, went private or passed away in order to make more room.

Many ENT consultants practice privately, you would be seen within weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Your looking at a minimum of a year. If you can at all afford it I would strongly advise you to go private, you may still have to wait a month or two but massively less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Would love to know about this List too please if anyone has any info on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bramblec

you can check out cross boarder Healthcare scheme.. ph: 056 7784547
    if you are on a long waiting list in irish hosptital you can travel to any EU country (including Northern Ireland)
    and get your procedure done there and ireland will pay for it. you have to pay up front and claim it back from CBH.
    I had not helath insurace or medical card and was put on a 2 years waiting list and only had to travel 1hr 45 mins to a private clininc in belfast who looked after it within 3 weeks.
    (used kingsbridge private clinic which was really handy to get to as only off the motor way before belfast city- exclelent service) im sure theres closer places in newry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bramblec

yes cross boarder health programme. im using it right now, the details are on the HSE web site but there a lot of information to browse through. ring them is best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

More proof that our health service is seriously broken and in dire need of being overhauled.
    Waiting 18 mths to 2 years for a consultant is disgraceful and a shameful disservice to the citizens of our country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement