Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5 6600 or i7 6700

Options
  • 27-08-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I'm choosing between these two CPU's the build will be used for 5 years of college animation. Will the hyperthreading help a load is it worth the extra almost 100 quid or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What programs? If it's a CPU-bound renderer, then yes I'd go for the i7.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭zxxtonyxxz

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What programs? If it's a CPU-bound renderer, then yes I'd go for the i7.

That's the problem I'm not sure and have no way of finding out as of now but let's say for applications like AutoCAD and 3D Maya

Or should I simply save up money for longer and get an overclockable chip and board and cooler and get that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

how many different builds have you gotten advice on here now? there was at least the xeon build, couple of weeks ago there was the 6400, now it's changed again. would you not be better off just ordering one and not constantly changing the spec? last time you seemed fairly set on ordering, what's changed?

mossym wrote: »
    how many different builds have you gotten advice on here now? there was at least the xeon build, couple of weeks ago there was the 6400, now it's changed again. would you not be better off just ordering one and not constantly changing the spec? last time you seemed fairly set on ordering, what's changed?

Im sorry its just it takes me ages to save money and I am just looking at all my options before I actually buy. I dont want to be regretting it at a later stage. Im trying to cover all options and mix and match and get opinions which is why I am asking. Is this not what this is for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no problem in making sure you get the best thing, but just wait till you have the money and post your budget, you'll get the best advice. flipping from build to build when you're not going to be buying will just drive you nuts. keeping it to a single thread will also allow people to see the different versions you were looking at.

mossym wrote: »
    no problem in making sure you get the best thing, but just wait till you have the money and post your budget, you'll get the best advice. flipping from build to build when you're not going to be buying will just drive you nuts. keeping it to a single thread will also allow people to see the different versions you were looking at.

Thats fine man thanks a million its just im planning now as I will have the money by this friday so im just getting a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

zxxtonyxxz wrote: »
    Im sorry its just it takes me ages to save money and I am just looking at all my options before I actually buy. I dont want to be regretting it at a later stage. Im trying to cover all options and mix and match and get opinions which is why I am asking. Is this not what this is for?
    With large luxury purchases, I only buy things if I can afford them more than twice over.

And don't worry too much about regretting your purchases - this is a PC, you can always upgrade in the future!

An i5-6500 would be a good cornerstone for pretty much anything though.

Advertisement