Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stuck in France, clutch light on

Options
  • 27-08-2016 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi guys i am in a major pickle at the moment. We are in france and planning on going to disneyland tomorrow, but my brake/clutch light is on. I had to get a new clutch before i left and then the next day we were off and the light came on, i have tried putting brake/clutch fluid in it but the reservoir is full. I rang my insurance company about roadside assistance and they told me they dont offer it in europe but would refund me up to 250euro. We are staying in a small budget hotel in a small town near disneyland and the local mechanic is closed at the moment and tomorrow is sunday. We are getting the boat on monday should i drive to the ferry. Very stressed at the mo and

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you have a red warning lamp for the brakes you should consider the car to be unsafe to drive.

If it is an amber warning light, it should be safe to drive to the mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Insurance cover to get you to a garage per chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,704 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just a light or is clutch not working and car not driving?
    Just a light ,but reservoir is full... could be that a brake pad has gone to the wear indicator, that would put on light. Nothing to worry about though, still plenty of brake pad left. You should get new pads when your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

It will be the brakes rather than the clutch I would guess. I'd agree it could well be just a wear indictor and will be safe to drive on. Make sure the brakes are working, stops in a straight line, and that the car will roll (ie not a stuck caliper)

If you can get it to the ferry, your insurance would probably rescue you from the Irish port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it a circle with broken lines on outer part at both sides.

If it is it is a pad warning light and you can drive away but get pads changed soon especially if you hear grinding metal as that is them gone altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

two weeks ago I got the rear pads replaced I also needed a caliper as the rubber was worn and letting crap in so I was told. so back ones should be ok. previous to this I used to get a orange ABS and traction control light come on and off intermittently I was told it might be a loose connection but now the lights are always on but still orange. but in relation to the clutch it was difficult to get it into gear yesterday but it freed up once I was driving a bit I tried it today but no joy she was stuck. I tried pushing it backwards and forwards and retrying but no joy I got a bus. I will try it again in the morning and see if I could get it to a mechanic.
    I was reading elsewhere the clutch might have to be bled as a air bubble may be causing the problem. it also said once a new clutch is installed it should be aloud to rest for a day, I picked it up and drove her as soon as it was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

If you ring the ADAC and sign up for the year they'll give you brake down cover across Europe for less than 100 quid.
    It also provides you with brake down in Ireland, if you brake down in Ireland they'll send an aa truck out for you. They'll also repatriate your car back to Ireland should it be unfixable.
    The reason why you won't have heard of them is they're German. They've a few call centres, ring them and if you don't speak German, ask the man spreken Z English. He will either speak to you in English or transfer you to a colleague who does

If the car is still driving fine, I wouldn't worry too much, take it easy and you should be ok. You'd have a good idea if the clutch was fecked and likewise the brakes

Advertisement