Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College young?

Options
  • 27-08-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I will be turning 17 this September and I am going to Maynooth University. What are other people's experiences with starting college young?

I have always been one who wanted to go through school really quick while at a young age so that once I finished I would still be young to travel the world and do whatever I want. I tried to get into Theoretical Physics and Maths which was a course that i was really interested and also would have meant that I would have been out of college by just 19. Sadly I didn't get the points that I needed.

Just so you know, I skipped 4th class as a child and was supposed to skip 5th class too but my principal said I would have been too young to go into secondary school.

Yeah I know that I shouldn't be in a rush but I can't help it. But I still want to have fun in college, due to my age difference it meant that I couldn't really go out in 6th year except for my graduation and the 2 debs that I went to. But in 6th year that was still ok because I lived like 5km from my friends anyways and also MY single mom had to work quite a lot of the time so most of my time was spent at home scrolling through all the facebook pictures. But now that I will virtually be free, the only thing restricting that social aspect of college is my age sadly.

Going out isn't my main priority but I don't mind it and I feel like it would be nice to make friends that way in the beginning of the year. Especially because some of the events might be 18+ only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jayroitman

I feel you on the finishing school early thing. I'm so glad to finally be free lol

I have no personal experience (I'm 19 and going to college) but my old friend started college at 16. She'll be newly 19 when she graduates.
    I always thought she was very young and would miss out on a lot, but it seems she has made it work for her, many friends over 18 despite her age and still manages to go out often lol. Not often to clubs but still has a very active social life.

My recommendation is to join every society you find remotely interesting. Not all events would be 18+, and if you meet people you like you can create your own fun nights.

While some events may only be 18+ I don't think your age will hold you back if you make it work for you! There's people in college of all ages, and since many people skip TY a lot of them may still be 17 and in the same sucky boat as you.

Happy early birthday and best of luck in Maynooth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I started college at 17 and didn't turn 18 until first year was over.
    I am 19 now and am in 3rd year.
    So it's safe to say I know how you feel.
    I had many concerns about starting college so young.
    Firstly I though I wouldn't be able to compete with people much older than me as many graduate entries were around 25 years old and many people had repeated the lc. However I quickly found that age and previous degrees had little to do with exam results. I managed to finish top of my dental class scoring highest in the exams.

The going out thing is a concern too but there are many other ways to make friends at college. Clubs and societies are a great place to make friends. You won't need an id for house parties of which there will be many. Going out to clubs really isn't the be all and end all of college. There are much better things to look forward to.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. You will meet your class and things should quickly fall in place. The worst thing you could do is over think it! College is a new experience and is daunting but for the vast majority of people it will work out! Just like your lc results people will quickly forget about your age.

Advertisement