Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Graduates/Trainee Solicitors

Options
  • 27-08-2016 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if anybody could advise me regarding my current position:

I have recently graduated (BA, LLB - 1st class honours) and plan to go down the solicitor route (currently prepping for my first set of FE1s). I have some legal experience having completed an internship at the DPP as well as that I am currently interning (for free, avg 15hrs p/w) at a fairly small law firm in town (mainly conveyancing/debt collection) For my financial income, I am working in a retail shop locally - avg 30hrs p/w which requires me to work at 6am 5 days a week.

My main question is, would any firms (small or large) be willing to hire someone like me as a legal assistant or secretary in the meantime while I finish FE1s? I am feeling very lost at the moment doing Fe1s alone and working two jobs (not getting paid for the one I love and getting paid in retail but hating every second of it as I have worked here for almost 3 years as it was my financial source throughout UNI)

I don't believe I can sustain the above as I am constantly exhausted trying to balance the three and would just love to find a paid legal job that I can do while awaiting a traineeship!

Would anybody please advise me on the next step I could take? Or could anybody share their experiences if similar? Would really appreciate some advice!

Thanking yous for your time :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

It might be worthwhile contacting the secretary of the local Solicitors Bar Association

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Where are you based? My firm is looking for a legal exec- We are in Dublin. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Where are you based? My firm is looking for a legal exec- We are in Dublin. PM me.

OT, but love your sig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Underneath that curt and almost overly direct exterior you're just a big soft helpful teddy bear aren't yMMou? Fair play Mr. Incognito!:)

Mod

KIOB
    Have added a smiley to your post - reads better now imho

Mr Incog is to be commended on his offer

NB that this is an anonymous forum. Let us ieep it that way

Advertisement