Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on vocals equipment

Options
  • 27-08-2016 2:09am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering getting back into performing. The trouble is I have no equipment.

The last time I was in a band was six years ago and the lead guitarist provided everything (mic, desk, amps, monitors, cables, etc). All I have is my guitar and my amp.

I know I'll need a microphone, and I'd imagine I'll need a separate amp for the vocals.

A quick Google search suggested I'd need a PA system but the prices I've seen are shocking me. :o

Is there any cheap system that folks would recommend just so I'll be able to practise on it in the shed at home? Is a mixing desk essential?

I've no expectation of picking up any gigs in the short to medium term, so I really just need advice on beginner's gear for now.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you just want something to make you louder, this should suffice https://www.thomann.de/ie/kustom_kpm4_powered_personal_monitor.htm?ref=search_rslt_powered+speaker_298972_0

Get a microphone and a cable, and you should be set for practicing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This might do as a cheap practise kit but I wouldn't expect it to sound brilliant.
    https://m.thomann.de/ie/artec_singer_starter_set_1.htm?o=0&ref=mal_a_0&search=1472376149
    If you do get into gigging, most venues have a PA but it's always worth having your own mic & lead with you. Get a good Shure mic or similar and expect to pay about 150 quid for it or more. Worth it though.
    Yamaha do a compact PA system ideal for solo performers, not hugely expensive as systems go https://m.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_stagepas_400i_bundle.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭LeBash

I picked up a 4 channel PA and Speakers on adverts for 200 and it's a nice piece of kit.

Go to thomann and buy the copy mics. The mb75 is a cheap copy of the sm57 and sounds grand, they have a copy of the sm58 as well and it's grand. You'll get out with 250 total easy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

feylya wrote: »

I like the look of this one. At 50 watts, compared to the 20 watts offered by the amp in Gaspode's post, it should give a bit more back to me.
    Gaspode wrote: »
    Yamaha do a compact PA system ideal for solo performers, not hugely expensive as systems go https://m.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_stagepas_400i_bundle.htm

That's outside my price range for the time being, but it's certainly handy to keep in mind for later. I might pay off the rest of my car loan first and then look into financing a bigger system later on, if I'm still happy with how my voice is sounding. :)
    LeBash wrote: »
    Go to thomann and buy the copy mics. The mb75 is a cheap copy of the sm57 and sounds grand, they have a copy of the sm58 as well and it's grand. You'll get out with 250 total easy.

The details under the mb75 suggest it's more of an instrument mic than a vocal mic. Would that make any significant difference at this stage? My main guitar is a semi-acoustic so that's hooked up to a small amp anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had a look at my guitar amp earlier, and it's only a 15 watt Marshall, so may a 20 watt amp for vocals would do after all. I really don't know what I'm doing. :o

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    The details under the mb75 suggest it's more of an instrument mic than a vocal mic. Would that make any significant difference at this stage? My main guitar is a semi-acoustic so that's hooked up to a small amp anyway.

Any final advice on mics before I go off and spend my money?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've a couple of these SM58s and I find them great, I've never had a problem with them sound-wise and they are rugged enough, not a mark on them after many many gigs! One of the most popular mics around I'd say.
    I'm sure you'll find them locally if you wanted. The bundle here is good value. €119 for the mic on it's own, €125 with the stand & cable.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_sm_58_s_bundle.htm

Advertisement