Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken cd player in car & warranty

Options
  • 26-08-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

I purchased a 2nd hand car from a dealer three weeks ago with a years warranty.

I noticed a few days later that the cd player was not working and that some of the buttons were stuck on the radio.

There were a few other small things wrong as well so I contacted the dealer immediately and they fixed all the items apart from the cd player - radio issue which they said was not covered by the warranty.

I am of the opinion the warranty is irrelevant and the cd player and radio were sold broken and did not break under my usage; it should be replaced without question or charge. I accept that if it was working perfectly when I bought it and stopped working a few months later or it was explained it was not working properly when i bought it then I have no case.

What are my options - I am thinking of getting a quote for repair and going to the the small claims court to get this rectified.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there a warranty document, is there any reference to a specific warranty documented?

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 made redundant

The stereo system is not covered by the warranty and I accept that but it was broken when I bought it and not broken whilst in my use.

The car is an Auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The stereo system is not covered by the warranty and I accept that but it was broken when I bought it and not broken whilst in my use.

The car is an Auris.

Generally you only get radios covered if buying new, 2nd hand warranties usually are very restrictive in what they cover. You should have checked that everything was working before handing over any money, as unfortunately once any company has your money the chances of getting something like a radio fixed are zero.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The car is an Auris.

Did you not check the radio and CD player before you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The car is an Auris.

So, after inspecting the car, you bought it? With a broken stereo?

Buy a new stereo and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

endacl wrote: »
    So, after inspecting the car, you bought it? With a broken stereo?

Buy a new stereo and move on.

Ah come on, do you bring a cd with you to test the stereo when you are buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 made redundant

I guess I was too busy checking that the clutch, heater and other important things were working properly. I turned the radio on and flicked a few buttons and it seemed to be fine. I suppose I did not think to bring a cd with me to a dealer to check whether a four year olds car stereo system (and every single button) was fully working.

Thanks to some of you for your comments. You live and learn but will follow this up with the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

In fairness to the OP, any decent dealer would probably repair it as good will, especially as they fixed a few other issues and it wasn't working when purchased. The warranty may well not cover electrical items like that as second hand warranties usually don't. Expense to the dealer for an Auris unit should be minimal. I'd play nice and maybe come to a compromise with them regarding partial cost/fitting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it possible that the existing stereo is just not connected up? Is it possible that the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo in there and just put the old one back in without connecting it up when they traded the car.

Seems pretty poor form from the dealer, you would imagine they would have tried to source a used one from a scrap yard which wouldn't break the bank for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I guess I was too busy checking that the clutch, heater and other important things were working properly. I turned the radio on and flicked a few buttons and it seemed to be fine. I suppose I did not think to bring a cd with me to a dealer to check whether a four year olds car stereo system (and every single button) was fully working.

Thanks to some of you for your comments. You live and learn but will follow this up with the dealer.

The rule when buying anything 2nd hand is to push or pull everything to make sure it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the old days it was a simple fix, stereos were a universal fit so any car at the dealership could donate it's working one to replace yours, now they are unique to each model so expense involved in sourcing replacement.

Advertisement