Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Limit Changes

Options
  • 26-08-2016 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Where there is a lack of a posted speed limit sign or when one turns from a road operating speed limit A to a road operating speed limit B how does one know what speed the road should be? Does one simply assume 50KPH is a built up area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭dennyk

Until you see a speed limit sign, I'd stick to the statutory limits, so 50km/h in a built-up area or 80km/h outside. Most populated areas will have a fair number of reminder signs (those tiny speed limit signs) every so often, so if it is a 60 zone or something, it won't be long before you'll know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

dennyk wrote: »
    Until you see a speed limit sign, I'd stick to the statutory limits, so 50km/h in a built-up area or 80km/h outside. Most populated areas will have a fair number of reminder signs (those tiny speed limit signs) every so often, so if it is a 60 zone or something, it won't be long before you'll know.

Unfortunately knowing the limit has had me come a cropper today :pac: but I shall be heeding your advice, many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Some what seem like rural roads only have a 60km/h limit. There's a few stretches between Caragh and Naas that are only 60km/h but would seem like an 80 zone if you weren't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Where there is a lack of a posted speed limit sign or when one turns from a road operating speed limit A to a road operating speed limit B how does one know what speed the road should be? Does one simply assume 50KPH is a built up area?

When changing from to road with a different limit there's usually a small repeater sign just after the junction. A bit of advice I got from an instructor was to look at side roads. If they have speed limit signs you assume yours is lower till you see a sign on your road, not much use for the test but will keep your licence safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Changes in speed limits are always signposted. If you can pay attention to signposts, you'll always know your correct speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Changes in speed limits are always signposted. If you can pay attention to signposts, you'll always know your correct speed limit.

I'm actually thinking of a specific example where this is a bit dubious, either due to poor signage or perhaps vandalism. The road in question actually has a 60 limit not mentioned in the 2013 bye laws either but it is sign posted.

Suffice it to say there's more to this post than meets the eye but I'll pay the fine... (cough!)

Advertisement