Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting over frustration

Options
  • 26-08-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

So learning the Alto and I'm doing ok but I do find myself getting so frustrated.

I struggle with low b, just cant get it right and I've been struggling for months. today I lost my temper somewhat and put my foot through a cupboard door.

I've had the sax recently serviced and im still struggling and becoming quite disheartened at times.

It doesnt help that I live in Roscommon where tutelage and other players are non existent and advice online is often confusing. My partner is very musically gifted with a very supportive and likewise gifted family who have played and sang together for decades. She encourages me of course but I feel very inferior at times to her.

I dont come from a musical family (or a creative one for that matter) so I'm doing everything solo and I'm just feeling very urgh

Any help/advice/reassurance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

No doubt, learning an instrument can be a daunting task at times, but becoming so frustrated that you act in the way you did, is just futile. You will never make progress this way. Perhaps you are trying to do too much too soon ? It's supposed to be fun, so try to take it in short easy stages. Instead of smashing up the furniture, take regular breaks. Practice for twenty to thirty minutes at a time. Then take a break and come back to it. If you find yourself getting frustrated, stop for a while and come back.

You don't have to come from a musical family to become good on an instrument. Even someone who has a natural gift has to hone it, by regular constructive practice. Why should you feel inferior to your partner ? She was once where you are now...as were we all. You are lucky to have someone like her to encourage and assist you. So, instead of feeling inferior, try to feel gracious.

So relax !!!!...take a deep breath, and enjoy the learning experience. Music is meant to be fun. If it's not, then you might as well put your sax up for sale and forget about music. There are lots of lesson books available with accompanying CD's (see link below). Do a Google search and see if you can find a saxophone forum where you could seek help with something in the book that puzzles you.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlearn+the+alto+saxophone.TRS0&_nkw=learn+the+alto+saxophone&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Could be an air leak and the sax is incapable of playing low b. Could be a crappy sax.

Advertisement