Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Centre Mullingar

Options
  • 26-08-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I dont know if this is the right place to put this but Ill give it a go anyway.

I am currently thinking about opening a gaming centre in Mullingar Co. Westmeath. It would cater for all sorts of games from PC to Console and Board and Card games.

Im just getting a feel for whether or not there would be the necessary people out there to make it work for me. Just looking for some general feedback from people in the area.

Thanks.

Comments

how are you going to charge? I'm not sure if you could legally use copies of pc/console games in that situation - would advise to check.
    I guess the draw for people would have to be the social side of things - playing with and against each other etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

sounds like a good idea perhaps a gaming hour etc where you could charge parents and they could drop their children (10 year old+) to play against eachother etc,you could maybe do leagues etc for fifa/f1 to encourage repeat business

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Depend s on how much you charge ,
    theres a few net cafes in mullingar,
    but in 2016 ,People have broadband ,xbox live,psn etc
    you have to run it like a business,
    can the income cover insurance, rent,esb, the cost of telecom lines etc
    you,d say pcs with legal copys of windows ,
    It would would take maybe 10k plus just to buy the pcs, routers etc
    do teens now even know what lan gaming is ,
    most gamers probably already have xbox live ,broadband etc
    Kids mainly play minecraft, or console games ,or just minecraft on pc.
    Even in dublin theres only a few gaming centers and they also depend on
    providing pcs with web acess .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

There was a guy on here a few years ago, AFAIR he was called Gamesnash:Pat from a Talk To forum. He had a gaming centre before for a couple of years or so but it closed down, not sure exact reason why but maybe check his old posts and see if you can message him as he would have experience in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Was walking down one of the busy streets in the middle of Seoul last night (our equivalent to Temple Bar for young people here) and a store caught my eye that I'd never seen there before.

It was a VR shop. Basically letting you have a go on HTC Vice for a few mins for a small fee.
    It was about 2.50euro for a 10 min game.
    They have 3 rooms with space to play, and also 2 racing rigs set up.
    When you went in you got handed a 'menu' with the available games and you chose that way.

I have pics which I'll post later so ye can see what I mean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement