Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd Number

Options
  • 25-08-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, hopefully someone will have the answer to this query. We ( my husband and I) have our own farm / Herd Number and are getting our grants etc.
    My father in law is transferring half of his farm over to my husband but for 6 years they will be in partnership in this parcel of land before its fully his. They will have to get a joint a/c and a separate new herd number specially for this parcel of land.
    My question is Can a farmer have 2 herd numbers at the same time??? Any one that has gone through this or knows the pros and con pls help!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Renata5 wrote: »
    Hi, hopefully someone will have the answer to this query. We ( my husband and I) have our own farm / Herd Number and are getting our grants etc.
    My father in law is transferring half of his farm over to my husband but for 6 years they will be in partnership in this parcel of land before its fully his. They will have to get a joint a/c and a separate new herd number specially for this parcel of land.
    My question is Can a farmer have 2 herd numbers at the same time??? Any one that has gone through this or knows the pros and con pls help!
    Thanks
    I've a herd no and another joint one with a sibling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

Just wondering which is best thing to do? Farming part time with father and was either going to look into getting my own herd number or just go into a joint one with his? Any advice welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Salrub wrote: »
    Just wondering which is best thing to do? Farming part time with father and was either going to look into getting my own herd number or just go into a joint one with his? Any advice welcome

Depends on your land and facilities. If you have land with separate handling facilities etc your own herd number may be a good way to go as the finances will be separate.
    However if you can't keep the 2 herds completely separate the joint herd number is the way to go.

Depends on your land and facilities. If you have land with separate handling facilities etc your own herd number may be a good way to go as the finances will be separate.
    However if you can't keep the 2 herds completely separate the joint herd number is the way to go.

Think the joint herd number as it will be very hard to keep the two herds separate on top of everything else!! Am in early 30's not done green very yet, should there be any real issue with department if I apply to be joint herd number holder now?

Think the joint herd number as it will be very hard to keep the two herds separate on top of everything else!! Am in early 30's not done green very yet, should there be any real issue with department if I apply to be joint herd number holder now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement