Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat - failed NCT due to blurred headlight

Options
  • 25-08-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone got any tips for remedying the above ?

The lenses on my 2003 Passat have got very grey/scratchy and last week for the first time it meant I failed the NCT during the headlight alignment test.

Tester suggested sandpaper - told him I'd already treated the exterior with sandpaper, and also with a vinegar mix to try to cut through any residual fine dirt. He also suggested using a buffer as used by panel beaters but I guess he's referring to trying it possibly from the inside of the lens ?

Anyone had this problem, and recommend a solution ? I have to book a re-test so I need to address the issue (fully) within the next week or two max.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You can buy lens cleaning kits on ebay etc but it would probably be easier to try and source a good condition used light from a breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

jca wrote: »
    You can buy lens cleaning kits on ebay etc but it would probably be easier to try and source a good condition used light from a breakers.

Have the same problem every year on one spurios headlight and have used the likes of JIF as a semi abrasive to cut through it too,some have said they have results with smokers toothpaste or the likes of Tcut too,passed every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

damon5 wrote: »
    Have the same problem every year on one spurios headlight and have used the likes of JIF as a semi abrasive to cut through it too,some have said they have results with smokers toothpaste or the likes of Tcut too,passed every time...

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I was going to say toothpaste too, but it may be too late if you have sandpapered the glass already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

What grit sandpaper did you use?

Start at maybe 300 - 600, then say 800, then 1200, then 1500, then 2000.

Then polish with toothpaste/t cut ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement