Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early 90s camper

Options
  • 25-08-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, thinking if investing in our first camper. Budget wise it's looking like it's going to be on a early 90s fiat.

Few questions: is there any Claus insurance wise that affects the premium charged on older vans?

: is there any hidden catch in purchasing such an old model?

Any help would be greatly appreciate, Cabt afford to get caught with a dude.

Many thanks

Peter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

No penalty for an old van, I personally wouldn't buy a pre 94 model. It's hard to find parts for the old vans a lot have no power steeribg, low power, low torque, altogether too primitive for me.

If you cant afford a dud you have to remember a lot of these vans have been out in the elements for 20+ years you have to check every nook and cranny for damp / water ingress. Check every inch of chassis, sills, cross members, inner wings, windscreen scuttles, doors etc for rot / underseal hiding bodged repairs.

With any old van a small bit of rust can translate to bgi bills my friends 96 camper is off the road for 2 years due to sills, inner sills, inner wing and cross member and wheel arch rust. Not a lot but very awkward shapes to cut out and plate up, inner wing may require engine removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Peter2.0

No penalty for an old van, I personally wouldn't buy a pre 94 model. It's hard to find parts for the old vans a lot have no power steeribg, low power, low torque, altogether too primitive for me.

If you cant afford a dud you have to remember a lot of these vans have been out in the elements for 20+ years you have to check every nook and cranny for damp / water ingress. Check every inch of chassis, sills, cross members, inner wings, windscreen scuttles, doors etc for rot / underseal hiding bodged repairs.

With any old van a small bit of rust can translate to bgi bills my friends 96 camper is off the road for 2 years due to sills, inner sills, inner wing and cross member and wheel arch rust. Not a lot but very awkward shapes to cut out and plate up, inner wing may require engine removal.

Realistically what would you have to Pay for something decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Peter2.0 wrote: »
    Realistically what would you have to Pay for something decent.

Ho many berths do you *need*

Ho many berths do you *need*

4 berth would be fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I was in a similar situation to you recently and I ended up buying a newer bongo, which is technically a 4 berth - 2 up and 2 'cosily' down. In the end I went for the bongo as everything was factory fit - roof, windows etc. and all parts were readily available in the UK. I was concerned about reliability of older vehicles, dampness, sourcing parts (as well as the size of it - i would be parking in my garden which isnt that big). In the end the bongo was a few quid cheaper than an earlier coachbuilt, but it is smaller. A drive away awning should sort this tho. Good vans are out there for that money, but make sure to examine every inch of them. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There are problems with earlier Fiat 5 speed gearboxes, I believe. Mainly due to low oil levels.
    A google should throw up lots of threads about it.
    The "search" function on Boards should also help. Rust would be my biggest fear, so bring over-all's and a torch if you go to view.
    Make sure all electrics work, and also the water hearer and blow hearer (if fitted).
    Motorhomes fall victim to strange wiring modifications when their age mounts up, so look out for bodges.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I would also tend towards the panel van conversion, or even a self-build conversion if the OP is DIY minded. There will likely be damp issues with a coachbuilt motorhome of that vintage and price range, IMHO. 4 berth requirement might discount smaller panel van conversions but there are always the large LWB Sprinters, Crafters etc. I fancy a self-build based on a Merc Vario minibus which would be about the same size as our last coachbuilt but less prone to water ingress.
    Cabt afford to get caught with a dude.
    That happened to a friend of mine, I had no idea he batted for the other side, each to their own though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I would be very reluctant buying anything later/newer than mid to late 90s. High pressure fuel systems, ecu's etc feel me with dread!

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

An early 90's camper wouldn't bother me as long as it is structurally sound, the mechanics of a vehicle that age are generally simpler and easier to fix whereas structural issues can be a lot harder to remedy depending on where they are. My own van isn't much newer than that and I intend keeping it until it is no longer viable. The issue on that era fiat that sticks out to me is the gear change linkage which when worn gave a very sloppy gear change (same on Talbot express), check for rot in the usual places especially under windscreen, steps etc. As long as the price is realistic and it has no major rot problems I would have no problem with a camper that age, the ducatos 95 on had an issue with fifth gear and gearbox design, there are problems with every van including my transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

We have just purchased and elderly Fiat Ducato, we were lucky to find her and looked at an awful lot of lemons before finding her. 1993 no power steering but I wouldnt let that put you off. Had our first trip out a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed every minute even though it was lashing rain.
    As has been said be very careful about rust, maybe we were lucky but I would say there are plenty out there is you are willing to look hard enough.
    It took us about 5 months to find the right one.

• Advertisement

Collecting my 1993 Fiat today unbelievable it was only 10 mins down the road from me, needs minor mechanical work for my own piece of mind and we should be good to go, great service history on it too absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

Collecting my 1993 Fiat today unbelievable it was only 10 mins down the road from me, needs minor mechanical work for my own piece of mind and we should be good to go, great service history on it too absolutely delighted.

The very best of luck with it, it sounds very good, have many years of good safe motoring with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Congrats Peter!! Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Happy motoring.....maybe our paths will cross sometime, I always look out for the elderly....lol (that would be vans not drivers)

Happy motoring.....maybe our paths will cross sometime, I always look out for the elderly....lol (that would be vans not drivers)

Hope so can't wait to show it off to who appreciate the Vintage Build. After the Maiden Voyage, she's home in the dark. Just discovered it has air suspension!! Hope the bags are ok, will try and inflate tomorrow.

Advertisement