Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugfreeworld.org

Options

Comments

Anyone else get one of these pamphlets? Well, I decided based on the misinformation inside to do a little googling:

http://www.scientology.ie/faq/scientology-in-society/foundation-for-a-drug-free-world.html

http://www.ibtimes.com/parents-outraged-after-scientology-sponsored-group-delivers-anti-drug-messages-new-1799248

A tad worrying that our Mayor didn't do the same before signing their board.
    What you mean he signed their board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

If only drugs were free.

So our mayor is actually promoting a 'anti-drugs' program that is created by Scientology and he is also asking for horses to be allowed on the waterford Greenway? Hopefully he is out of office asap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This isn't even funny
    Why would any person have anything to do with anything Scientology are involved in?

http://www.scientology.ie/faq/scientology-in-society/foundation-for-a-drug-free-world.html

Its utterly disgraceful that the mayor of Waterford is in anyway supporting anything to do with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Cabaal wrote: »
    This isn't even funny
    Why would any person have anything to do with anything Scientology are involved in?

Its utterly disgraceful that the mayor of Waterford is in anyway supporting anything to do with them,

Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you serious?

Yes I very much am,
    Scientology is a cult, end of. No person in any position in a council or goverment should have anything do with them

Yes I very much am,
    Scientology is a cult, end of. No person in any position in a council or goverment should have anything do with them

Okay, first off, the link you posted is just a message about drugs...not enough there to warrant that level of revulsion. Secondly, on their Facebook page you will see that they were clever enough to get pictures taken with other mayors in ireland such as in Galway and Limerick. Nowhere on their billboards or leaflets is the word Scientology mentioned anywhere. The mayor, I assume, was happy enough to be associated with the anti-drug message and didn't look beyon that, same with the other mayors.

Secondly, I Scientology is as much of a cult as the Catholic Church or any other bloody "religion" is. This faux outrage of one over the other is, frankly, hilarious. They are all nonsense. The band were good though.

Okay, first off, the link you posted is just a message about drugs...not enough there to warrant that level of revulsion. Secondly, on their Facebook page you will see that they were clever enough to get pictures taken with other mayors in ireland such as in Galway and Limerick. Nowhere on their billboards or leaflets is the word Scientology mentioned anywhere. The mayor, I assume, was happy enough to be associated with the anti-drug message and didn't look beyon that, same with the other mayors.

Its most unfortunate he and others didn't look beyond that, they just wanted a PR moment.

Nobody should just blindly support any campaign without knowing a little about it. 30 seconds on Google would have confirmed the link in this case.

As for "its just a message about drugs", so is this message completely free?. Who's funding it, is the council or Irish government giving Scientology any money to help spread this message? Are they eventually going to allow a Scientology led message to be spread in our schools?

It doesn't matter if the campaign does not actively mention Scientology, it is run by them. This alone should be reason enough for people not to support it. You could very easily start a non-Scientology related anti drug campaign.
    Secondly, I Scientology is as much of a cult as the Catholic Church or any other bloody "religion" is. This faux outrage of one over the other is, frankly, hilarious. They are all nonsense. The band were good though.

Don't worry, I don't give a special place to the catholic church,

However, Scientology has a very recent history of campaigns against former members, its all very well documented.

Want to do a story on them? Grand, just be prepared to be followed by them everywhere you go. Be prepared to find them sitting outside your home, sitting in hotel lobbys waiting for you and tailing you when you drive.

No doubt, but I wouldn't be quick to judge a mayor - any mayor - for taking an anti drugs message at face value.

Are you serious?

Narc.

• Advertisement

By the way, as an FYI, they did this last year too. Played in the pissing rain on a Wednesday afternoon in John Roberts square.

No doubt, but I wouldn't be quick to judge a mayor - any mayor - for taking an anti drugs message at face value.

So you think it's ok for a mayor to blindly back any message regardless of who is pushing the message?

Defending a mayor for not having enough cop on to get somebody to do 30seconds of basic research, this is laughable.

While they played in John Robert's Square they had a fairly weighty booklet about what they're about. Nowhere on that booklet did it say anything about Scientology. Nowhere. They were sneaky about how they went about this, there's no doubt about it. It would take longer than 30 seconds to go through that booklet and you would find nothing more than information about drugs. I don't know about anyone else but if I saw a jazz band with an anti-drugs message and a big booklet explaining what they were about, that would be enough for me surmise that they were peddling an anti-drug agenda and no more. You have looked a little deeper now, with the benefit of hindsight and the OP's investigations and you're happy to attack a mayor because he didn't check online as well. Get a grip of yourself will ya.

Ok, for a second we'll assume that the mayor and his staff are incompetent and incapable of some basic research in relation to any organization before they decide to link themselves with it and publicly back it.

One has to question why he hasn't spoken out and publicly distanced himself from such a large error since the Scientology link has become known to him, we can only asume he doesn't give a monkeys or perhaps he knew about the link to begin with.

One way or another the mayor is incompetent, either for not researching before agreeing to support such a campaign by cult or because he won't now distance himself from it and admit he's made a serious error in judgement by linking himself and the office of the mayor to a campaign operated by a cult

Ok, for a second we'll assume that the mayor and his staff are incompetent and incapable of some basic research in relation to any organization before they decide to link themselves with it and publicly back it.

One has to question why he hasn't spoken out and publicly distanced himself from such a large error since the Scientology link has become known to him, we can only asume he doesn't give a monkeys or perhaps he knew about the link to begin with.

One way or another the mayor is incompetent, either for not researching before agreeing to support such a campaign by cult or because he won't now distance himself from it and admit he's made a serious error in judgement by linking himself and the office of the mayor to a campaign operated by a cult

Listen, you're talking about a man who told WLR today that he reported APPLE to the Waterford Garda Station. He's clearly not that smart.However, that literature was 32 pages and didn't mention anything about scientology. It's a certain type of arrogance that will say that reading all of that is not enough research.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Yes I very much am,

Cult it may be but Scientology is nothing like a religion. Saying that even if they are dangerous it doesn't discredit any campaign they run per se. that is a reverse Argument from authority fallacy.

robp wrote: »
    Cult it may be but Scientology is nothing like a religion. Saying that even if they are dangerous it doesn't discredit any campaign they run per se. that is a reverse Argument from authority fallacy.

one persons cult is another person's religion and visa versa. At the end of the day it just comes down to power/control and money,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

one persons cult is another person's religion and visa versa. At the end of the day it just comes down to power/control and money,
    Fra

Fraid not. Scientology is actually a huge self help racket with aliens throw in. You pay to enter. In contrast no one pays to join a religion. Regarding your last comment, you are thinking of politics not religions.

Fra

Fraid not. Scientology is actually a huge self help racket with aliens throw in. You pay to enter. In contrast no one pays to join a religion. Regarding your last comment, you are thinking of politics not religions.

Nobody? Really?
    I think you'll find that if you call yourself a Catholic in Germany then you are required to pay the church a portion of your wages.

If you don't then the church can refuse Catholic services for you, marriage, funeral for example.

http://www.thejournal.ie/germany-catholic-church-tax-608480-Sep2012/

From 2012
    GERMANY’S ROMAN CATHOLICS who refuse to pay a church tax will be barred from receiving the sacraments or becoming a godparent, under controversial new restrictions entering into force today.

Confession, Holy Communion, confirmation in the Church or anointing of the sick – unless the patient’s life is in danger – are now out of bounds for anyone who leaves the Church, the decree which took effect today stated.

Becoming a godparent is also off-limits, it said.

The above has the support of the Vatican, so its not like its something fringe that the Vatican doesn't like.

As for power and control a quick look at the Catholic Church in Ireland in the early days of the state proves you very wrong, it was very much a power grab by the church. To this day we're still dealing with the negative effects of it

Advertisement