Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxymo asking to take pictures of my car

Options
  • 25-08-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I received an email asking me to take pictures of all 4 side of my car and I have 7 days to do so. I don't understand what is the point?
    I don't use so much the car, I travel abroad for months, what if they send me strange request like this one when I am abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you just join Boxymo?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

biko wrote: »
    Did you just join Boxymo?

no, I renewed the policy a couple of month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

no, I renewed the policy a couple of month ago

I renewed my daughters policy recently. No request for same. Personally never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perhaps because you're away for a long time and they're receiving data that the car is sitting unused that they want to be sure that you're not running some kind of scam?

seamus wrote: »
    Perhaps because you're away for a long time and they're receiving data that the car is sitting unused that they want to be sure that you're not running some kind of scam?

If I am paying the insurance and I don't claim anything I wonder which sort of scam they think I would run? It is very strange request, they know where is the car and at any moment they can check it.
    Maybe they want to prevent some false claim in the future, if I show now that the car has already some scratch I can not make any claim for this type of damage in the future. I find it very strange because as I said I don't use the car often so a claim from my side it is not very likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno, maybe they're just eager to make sure you still have the car and you're not driving some other vehicle on your boxymo policy?

Presumably they offer a no-claims bonus, so perhaps some people buy cheapish insurance to build up a discount without actually doing any driving?

Email them back, explain that you're currently out of the country and ask what the purpose of the pictures is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭White Ninja

Maybe they want to see if there's any mods?

thanks for the reply, at the moment I am in Ireland so I will send the pictures to them, I just was wondering if this is a ordinary procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Unless tip off that car might be modified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have you comprehensive insurance. They could just be checking for previous damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

What's the make and model of the car? As some models of cars are more likely to be modified in some fashion, they're probably looking for photos to make sure yours isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Fax them this bandits+postcard.+front.jpg

Also, make sure to call the anonymous tip off hot line so the crack team of insurance ninjas can begin investigations into all your neighbours. Holy jebus, is this a route insurers really want to go down hahaha can't wait to see Biddy being hauled away from outside mass by the insurance police for not declaring the egr/dpf delete her garage recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Ring them and ask why they want pictures......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Hello caller, what is your emergency?

Eh, oh jesus, I'd like to report an mp3 playing radio...

Go on, this sounds very serious!

Oh god, it's just so awful...

You'll be safe soon caller, our teams are standing by.

../hyperventilating/...it's it's it's a VTEC badge /incoherent noises of distress/

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! scramble scramble scramble all units GO GO GOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

seamus wrote: »

Car sitting around unused and he is the one paying for the insurance.

Sound like he is the one getting scammed to be honest! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Billbo2015

Hi I just recived this message also off boxy mo did they say a reason why after you sent them ? They said it’s standard procedure but I am with them a year now and had another car last year and they never asked for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Maybe they suspect car is different from what is in the log book. Perhaps the telemetry shows your 0-60 is faster than it should be ;)

Xcellor wrote: »
    Maybe they suspect car is different from what is in the log book. Perhaps the telemetry shows your 0-60 is faster than it should be ;)

No don’t think it’s that I was onto them they said it’s normal to ask for this but don’t think it is cos didn’t ask for my other car. Someone came to fit the box the other day the car isn’t modified in any way just 1.2 Ford fiesta

Billbo2015 wrote: »
    No don’t think it’s that I was onto them they said it’s normal to ask for this but don’t think it is cos didn’t ask for my other car. Someone came to fit the box the other day the car isn’t modified in any way just 1.2 Ford fiesta

Maybe the telemetry data suggests it has been in a potential crash or a sudden stop? Did you have any holy **** moments in the last while? I suggest that since they want pictures of the external they are not going to be able to identify mods so it's exterior damage they are looking for. Perhaps someone has put a claim in against your car.

They may not wish to give details on why specifically you are being targeted but something has triggered it. Of course it could be just a random sample. Revenue do the same sort of thing for PAYE works, they request some fill out and end of year form apparently its' "random" ...

Don't like these big brother devices...

Maybe the telemetry data suggests it has been in a potential crash or a sudden stop? Did you have any holy **** moments in the last while? I suggest that since they want pictures of the external they are not going to be able to identify mods so it's exterior damage they are looking for. Perhaps someone has put a claim in against your car.

They may not wish to give details on why specifically you are being targeted but something has triggered it. Of course it could be just a random sample. Revenue do the same sort of thing for PAYE works, they request some fill out and end of year form apparently its' "random" ...

Don't like these big brother devices...

No nothing like that the box was only installed Friday as I have a new car so maybe it’s somethung to do with that and i haven’t been involved in any crashes , I was onto them and they said it’s just general inquiries but I don’t think it is as they didn’t ask on my last car

• Advertisement

Billbo2015 wrote: »
    No nothing like that the box was only installed Friday as I have a new car so maybe it’s somethung to do with that and i haven’t been involved in any crashes , I was onto them and they said it’s just general inquiries but I don’t think it is as they didn’t ask on my last car

Maybe the person who installed the device was supposed to take the pictures and forgot? Like autoglass when they replace a windscreen they take pictures as they are required to do as part of job completion. The underwriters of boxymo may require vehicles of a certain value have pictures taken..

They told me it was a random check. I sent the picture and never hear from them

They told me it was a random check. I sent the picture and never hear from them

Oh ok hopefully that’s all it is

Maybe the person who installed the device was supposed to take the pictures and forgot? Like autoglass when they replace a windscreen they take pictures as they are required to do as part of job completion. The underwriters of boxymo may require vehicles of a certain value have pictures taken..

They said following a recent audit on my policy .. I sent them off in anyways hopefully hear nothing back from them

Advertisement