Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Corolla auto

Options
  • 25-08-2016 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Morning all!

The father is looking to buy a 2005 Toyota corolla automatic that we spotted on done deal for €2000.

Is there anything too look out for other than the usual tyres, service history, timing chain, burning oil, electrics, smooth auto box, how long has he had it, log book and the rear sticky calipers ect.

I would be familiar with the corolla but not with the automatic box.

Is there anything I have left out?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,402 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As long as it's a 1.6 petrol auto and not a 1.4 diesel you'll be grand. They're very tough. Being Ireland the transmission will never have been serviced and the car will probably have either been owned by a disabled driver or been a rental car for 3-4 years. Statistically very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Yeah its the 1.6 petrol alright.

If he buys it ill service the engine and transmission to be on the safe side.

If I remember correctly didnt toyota sort out the burning oil problem from 2004 on ? Still could be a 2004 model just registered in 2005 though.

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

If there is anything more tough than a Corolla it's a Lancer

Try this minty one: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-lancer-auto-2006-low-km-nct-pass-today/13140235

Id much rather he went with that :) But he insists on it being a hatchback so he can drop the back seats and fill it with sh!te :rolleyes:

This car was owned by us for ten years and you can fold the seats down. It's totally unworn.

At around 2k he needs to buy on condition not on model choice.

Hope this is helpful

• Advertisement

I mean as in a car derived van kind of thing. Ill show him the ad anyway and see what he says. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Corolla is a lot better engineered car than a Lancer though and feels better built. The auto box in the Corolla is a bit more advanced too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    A Corolla is a lot better engineered car than a Lancer though and feels better built. The auto box in the Corolla is a bit more advanced too.

Thanks

These are 2k cars, condition trumps all.

Thanks

:confused:

Condition is an important factor but so is what you're buying and the OP has options.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Condition is an important factor but so is what you're buying and the OP has options.

Of course he does, and not many would even come to Dublin from Galway for such a car. So of course the buyer decides. Anyway, I got a bit of publicity in the meantime

:)

Wonder how long it takes for the posts to be taken down for the sin of shilling?

Both the Corolla and lancer are using 90s tech in their auto boxes. Nothing between them there, but on the whole the corolla is more modern and feels better.
    That said, I'd be a little wary of a €2k 05, condition is important too.

This is it

Literally just passed the test. Body not mint but he doesnt mind that, I have friends that would touch it up and make the red, red again.

Lacquer looks to be peeling in spots. Jaysus those seat covers.
    I'd say it's pretty rough in the flesh.
    Are you travelling far to see it?

Id put money on that being ex Budget rent a car. The Corolla autos were kept on for a few years, they'd cover the off season.
    It'll have had more hits than Elvis.

Nah not far, Galway to Ennis. Ill gladly head back home without it if it doesnt drive right.

As for the exterior, if the panels are straight and the price is right ill take it. Paintwork can be sorted by a buddy of mine.

Be aware it has over 5 owners. Don't know the number but it's 5 or more.
    It's 11 years old though.

How'd you find that out?

Ive checked the nct, genuine.

motortax.ie says no changes of ownership in the last 3 months.

Carsireland, ask the seller how many previous owners are shown on the logbook. For the laugh.

You add 1 to the number on the cert to get total owners.

Cheers for that, ill check it out tomorrow :)

Ill update ye all on how i get on :pac:

Just to update. Pure scrap. Avoid. The body was like a teenagers face just after hitting puberty.

• Advertisement

Right,

when are you coming to Dublin to look at my Lancer?

brembo26 wrote: »
    Just to update. Pure scrap. Avoid. The body was like a teenagers face just after hitting puberty.

The signs were there to be fair!

It was kinda funny, met the lad selling it. Walked over to the car looked at it very briefly, looked at him and said 'not a notion' and went on my merry way.

Probably a bit rude but he should have mentioned how bad the lacquer peel was instead of wasting my time.

Advertisement