Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandela effect

Options
  • 24-08-2016 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Well....I've come across this recently and was wondering if anyone elses has experiences of this. I've a few, other people I've spoke to have a few.

I don't know what to think really. It's disconcerting.

I'll list a few of the of the changes I've experienced.

Looney Toons. This is the way I remember it. It was never Looney Tunes!

Tom Hanks said "Life is like a box of chocolates" not "Life was like a box of chocolates"
    http://mandelaeffect.com/forrest-gump-life-is-like/

Reba McIntyre, this is how I remember she spells her name. Not Reba McEntire as she is known.
    http://mandelaeffect.com/reba-mcintyre-or-mcentire/

I distinctly remember The Queen in Snow White said "Mirror Mirror on the wall" not Magic Mirror on the wall". Watched this religiously as a child.

As mentioned previously, don't really know what to think.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Likely common misconceptions

e.g. many people say "Expresso" instead of "Espresso". Why? because people make the incorrect link with the word "express", which is done in a high enough volume to spawn more misconceptions of the original name of the coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I always thought I had a very good memory. I'm certainly starting to doubt it now. The Snow White one and the Reba McEntire one stand out to me as wrong though not just having a bad/hazy memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

I hadn't heard of this until now (at least not in this reality!).

I was convinced that Sally Ride died in the challenger disaster. Completely and utterly convinced.

Apparently it was someone called Christa McAuliffe. I have never heard of her. Sally Ride died of cancer in 2012 apparently.

The internet says so. Therefor I am wrong.

One thing bugs me though. In the Billy Joel song "we didn't start the fire" Sally ride gets a mention.

Why? Why is she mentioned in among all the horrors/tragedies/disasters in that song?

I mean she was a trailblazer. The first woman in space(?????!!!) and an all round good egg.

There's obviously a simple, rational, satisfying explanation for this.

I'll just wait right here while the best and brightest explain it to me....ðŸ˜႒

I asked my mother about the Snow White one and she also remembers it as Mirror Mirror.

I would like an explanation as well. Seems to be a lot of crazy stuff on the internet at the moment. Planet X, aliens, stuff in space, on the moon (pick any planet in the solar system really)

But remembering things from history differently to what it is now....... It's all a bit strange, freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There was a thread on this a couple of years ago.

The theory was adequately rubbished there, so I won't bother here.

:)

A lot of Dubs are pretty sure the shops are called Eason's, Lidl's and Tesco's. Very easy for people to be wrong when they're sure they're right.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    There was a thread on this a couple of years ago.

The theory was adequately rubbished there, so I won't bother here.

:)

A lot of Dubs are pretty sure the shops are called Eason's, Lidl's and Tesco's. Very easy for people to be wrong when they're sure they're right.

Go on then. At least post a link to the other thread. I can't find it. If the members of boards have adequately rubbished the theory then clearly that settles it.

Did anyone have an answer to why Sally Ride was mentioned in the song?

Titanucd wrote: »
    Go on then. At least post a link to the other thread. I can't find it. If the members of boards have adequately rubbished the theory then clearly that settles it.

Did anyone have an answer to why Sally Ride was mentioned in the song?

Sorry to hear your search function isn't working.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057519724

[quote="endacl;100804420"

The theory was adequately rubbished there, so I won't bother here

[/quote]

You made as much of a contribution on that one as you have for this one.

Not one poster on that other thread put any other theory forward as to why it's happening to people - and just saying that people remember things wrong is not a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

PlainP wrote: »

Not one poster on that other thread put any other theory forward as to why it's happening to people - and just saying that people remember things wrong is not a theory.

The theory is common mistakes.

Like I mentioned earlier, if enough people mistakenly call a type of coffee, "expresso", then that can enter common vernacular and stick

Hence "common misconception"

An easily made mistake or misinterpretation

It's not happening to people. Confabulation is.

Confabulation + Occam's Razor = debunked.

An example of confabulation: I stated the thread in question was from a couple of years ago. I was sure it was. I had a very clear memory of the thread being from a couple of years ago. I would have bet a tenner on the fact. It wasn't. Now, is the most likely explanation
    (a) History spontaneously rearranged itself?
    (b) I somehow slipped between dimensions?
    (C) I misremembered?

• Advertisement

So I have brain damage is that what you are saying?

So I have brain damage is that what you are saying?

Nope. It can happen anybody. It's a fancy word for 'filling in the gaps'.

Well....I've come across this recently and was wondering if anyone elses has experiences of this. I've a few, other people I've spoke to have a few.

I don't know what to think really. It's disconcerting.

I'll list a few of the of the changes I've experienced.

Looney Toons. This is the way I remember it. It was never Looney Tunes!

Tom Hanks said "Life is like a box of chocolates" not "Life was like a box of chocolates"
    http://mandelaeffect.com/forrest-gump-life-is-like/

Reba McIntyre, this is how I remember she spells her name. Not Reba McEntire as she is known.
    http://mandelaeffect.com/reba-mcintyre-or-mcentire/

I distinctly remember The Queen in Snow White said "Mirror Mirror on the wall" not Magic Mirror on the wall". Watched this religiously as a child.

As mentioned previously, don't really know what to think.

Anyone else?

OK. Apologies for the earlier brusqueness...

Looney Tunes. Do you remember Merrie Melodies?

Forrest Gump didn't say 'life Is like a box of chocolates'. He reported his mother as having said that. Using the past tense. Most people get this wrong. In this instance, by ascribing the quote to he character who reported it. Not to the character who said it. Even though she didn't on screen. Here are a few more common ones.... https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/20-famous-movie-lines-that-you-have-been-saying-wrong?utm_term=.ny3XKJoOe#.kmYr2wO0G

Reba McEntire. I'd imagine you, as I did, presumed the common spelling that you were familiar with. As do lots of people. I just tried it, and asked herself how it was spelled. I had to google it and show her. She's still not fully convinced. Of course, she's never heard of the Mandela Effect. She is a psychologist though, so she'd probably think it was a daft notion if she had. And she'd be right...

The ladybird storybook of Snow White uses the 'mirror, mirror....' version. Which is probably well lodged in the hindbrain of every child in the country.

Overall I want to believe the misremembering theory.

It makes the most sense.

But nobody has even acknowledged never mind given a satisfactory answer to my question:

Why did Sally Ride get a mention in the Billy Joel song?

Have I misunderstood the song? I think it's about all the crap that happened in the 20th century. I don't think it's a positive song.

So if Sally Ride was not involved in the Challenger disaster then why was she mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Sorry for my ignorance but after reading the thread I have no idea what the conspiracy is?

https://youtu.be/cOjngMXlVds

Is he misremembering? You would think he would know the line.

Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It makes the most sense.

But nobody has even acknowledged never mind given a satisfactory answer to my question:

Have I misunderstood the song? I think it's about all the crap that happened in the 20th century. I don't think it's a positive song.

So if Sally Ride was not involved in the Challenger disaster then why was she mentioned?

Have you checked the rest of the lyrics or just focused on Sally Ride?

Theres plenty of positives in the song. From a glance theres probably half and half. Stuff ryhmes so it goes in (She ryhmes with suicide). I'm not a huge Doris Day fan, but I dont think shes Hitler or anything.

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
    South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
    Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television
    North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
    Brando, The King And I, and The Catcher In The Rye
    Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new queen
    Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
    Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc
    Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron
    Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock
    Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
    Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
    Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Khrushchev
    Princess Grace, Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
    Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, Bridge On The River Kwai
    Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
    Starkweather, Homicide, Children of Thalidomide...

Buddy Holly, Ben-Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia
    Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
    U-2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy
    Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land
    Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion
    Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania
    Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician Sex
    J.F.K. blown away, what else do I have to say

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
    Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
    Begin, Reagan, Palestine, Terror on the airline
    Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
    Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide
    Foreign debts, homeless Vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz
    Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law
    Rock and Roller Cola wars, I can't take it anymore

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    But when we are gone
    It will still burn on and on and on and on
    And on and on and on and on...

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No, we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    We didn't start the fire
    No, we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Sorry for my ignorance but after reading the thread I have no idea what the conspiracy is?

There isn't one.

It makes the most sense.

Sorry. Forgot to get back to you. Sally Ride was a physicist and astronaut. She was the first American woman in space. She flew on the Challanger all right, just not on its last flight. Her's was in 1983. More here: http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/ride-sk.html

Nothing to do with the Committments. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It makes the most sense.

But what's the actual alternative explanation?
    That you've somehow been bumped from an alternative universe that's exactly the same in every respect except that Sally Ride didn't die on Challenger?

That for some reason NASA has been covering up the fact that Sally Ride had been on Challenger, up and to creating an entirely new astronaut and a fake Sally Ride until 2012?

What exactly is wrong with the idea that you just misremembered something?
    Or maybe the writer of the song misremembered? Or just thought it was good for the rhyme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not only Ladybird books, but every story of Snow White was 'Mirror, mirror on the wall' until Disney changed it. He needed another character/conversation so the queen says 'Slave in the Magic Mirror...show thyself'.

OK My memory isnt as good as I had imagined!

As Guy Incognito (We know its you Homer!) has pointed out I think I was so freaked out by thinking that Sally Ride died in the Challenger disaster that when I found her mentioned in the song I just made a leap and thought she was included in what I thought was a very negative song.

Seeing the lyrics written down it is now clear that the song isnt 100% negative and Sally Ride could well have been included as a positive given the achievements outlined by endacl.

I asked about 10 people that I know if they could remember the name of the woman killed in the Challenger.

6 of them said Sally Ride and 4 said they didnt know.

Nobody mentioned Christa McAuliffe

So at least I know that I'm not the only one who got this so horribly wrong!

As regards the alternative explanation that King Mob asked for:

I didnt have one. I was just so freaked out that I wasnt sure of anything!

https://youtu.be/cOjngMXlVds

Is he misremembering? You would think he would know the line.

Just saying like.

I remebered the Forrest Gump line as 'is' but 'was' makes more sense.

Even in the video it sounds like Hanks says 'was' to me.

The 'Luke, I am your father' line is how I remembered it so thats a bit freaky particularly as James Earl Jones says it was 'Luke, I am your father'

Nobody mentioned Christa McAuliffe
    I'd be willing to bet the aforementioned tenner that if you asked 100 people the name of the schoolteacher who died on Challanger, more would say 'Christine' than 'Christa'. And they'd all be pretty sure they were right.

endacl wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet the aforementioned tenner that if you asked 100 people the name of the schoolteacher who died on Challanger, more would say 'Christine' than 'Christa'. And they'd all be pretty sure they were right.

I actually think more would say Sally Ride!

Did you know it was Christa?

I actually think more would say Sally Ride!

Did you know it was Christa?

Yep. Bit of a space nerd...

Well I think I need to start taking fish oils, lots of them and hope that this isn't a precursor to Alzheimer or some other degenerative brain disease. :(

Well I think I need to start taking fish oils, lots of them and hope that this isn't a precursor to Alzheimer or some other degenerative brain disease. :(

Not at all. We all do it, all the time. You just out a little too much significance on it this time.

Think about it. If you'd never heard of 'the Mandela effect', would you have even noticed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I know somebody who wrote a non-fiction book and he couldn't believe the amount of inaccuracies that appeared to be in it that other people contacted him about after publishing. Most were small issues or different people remembering things differently. You wouldn't call them a glitches in the matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sally Ride wasn't who died on Challenger..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christa_McAuliffe

Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies are basically the same thing, but not, and both existed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrie_Melodies

My favorite being the Berenstain/Berenstein Bears.

I'm not sure what about this thread makes it a conspiracy however. I'll just point out HAARP opened their doors to the public and lock this for frivolity and 'burqueness' :)

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/science/2016/08/24/haarps-new-owner-holds-open-house-to-prove-facility-is-not-capable-of-mind-control/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement