Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I crazy for wanting this? Post contains Saab content

Options
  • 24-08-2016 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Hi Boards,

Currently starting to nosy around for a new car which has to go before 11th Oct when it runs out of M.O.T which it won't pass and is beyond the worth to repair. Particularly set on a mk1 Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI but it's hard to find one for the budget which is set at 2000 pounds hoping for long M.O.T. Also, been looking at Accord CDTI's and other typical VAG Tdi's

However, have came across this https://www.gumtree.com/p/saab/2005-saab-9-3-1.9tid-150bhp-vector-sport-half-leather-cruise-climate/1184243581 which seems to be decent value from a dealer and always had a soft spot for the Vectors. Insurance is a consideration since it'll be my first policy in my own name although I do have 6 years accident/points free driving under my belt at 23. Insurance for all these work out between 900-1000 a year which is affordable.

Any opinions on the Saab or other cars I should be looking at? Just after decent spec, diesel and as close to years M.O.T as possible.

Cheers, Mehaffey1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

The older model Saabs were built to last. They were over-engineered and tended not to give trouble. I'm not so sure the newer models were as good, but I stand corrected on that (after 2002/3). The larger 9-5 is more comfortable and has more room. There are quite a few of them still knocking around and you can buy solid ones for small money, if you know what you are looking for. Forget what some of the begrudgers say about Saabs. They are not just for polo-necked architects. I've had great experience with several models and would consider buying another.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Generally great cars.

More info in older threads
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=1625&query=saab

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Redtop wrote: »
    The older model Saabs were built to last. They were over-engineered and tended not to give trouble. I'm not so sure the newer models were as good, but I stand corrected on that (after 2002/3). The larger 9-5 is more comfortable and has more room. There are quite a few of them still knocking around and you can buy solid ones for small money, if you know what you are looking for. Forget what some of the begrudgers say about Saabs. They are not just for polo-necked architects. I've had great experience with several models and would consider buying another.
    The later ones however generally avoid two type-faults that tend to occur on the older (say first gen 93) models:
    • engine-sludge (can be prevented: use fully synth oil and change every 6k miles, also a breather hose kit available)
    • Bulk head separation (occurs on RHD/Irish-UK models of 93). There's a reinforcing brace that can be fitted after market that stiffens steering beneficially and prevents this occurring or halts its progress. It can be repaired too, but not sure how economically. You get different views on how serious it is.
    However, those 93 models are also typically going for about €1000, so even if you run the risk on these two issues, you won't lose too much.

Some materials definitely a bit poorer on newer ones. Keys for sure (the rubbery coating disintegrateds, while the key on my 2002 93 looks grand). But in other ways the newer models were improved.

To get a car that's really not "GM-ified" you need to go back before the last generation of 900s. That model was phased out in 98 for the original 9-3, so you'd be back before 95 I guess(?), which is pretty old. I don't know how much worse that would make your parts availability (e.g. original oil filters for the 2002 9-3 are a standard GM unit, very easy to get, very inexpensive). Parts are easy enough got anyway: neo-brothers (UK), schwedenteile.de, partsforsaabs.com (UK), and of course the usual micksgarage etc.,

I think they're nice cars.

Advertisement