Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DCC proposing a speed limit of 30km/h for residential areas in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 24-08-2016 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

The public has until 5pm today to have their say on changes to speed limits across Dublin city centre.

If the plan goes ahead, a 30km/h speed limit would be introduced by Dublin City Council (DCC) in areas such as Crumlin, Kilmainham and Donaghmede.

Officials say the proposed changes are aimed at ensuring speeds limits on affected residential roads & streets "safe and appropriate as possible for vulnerable road users, including children".

Feedback can be submitted online until 5pm this evening, with full details available on the DCC website. You can also email submissions to speedreview@dublincity.ie.

http://www.newstalk.com/Public-has-until-this-evening-to-submit-feedback-on-proposed-speed-limits-for-Dublin-city-centre

What are your thoughts? I reckon the speed vans will be having a field day there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Through most of Europe residential areas are marked with this sign:

Spielstrasse%2BSchild.gif

In most countries speed limit in those areas is 20km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

shietpilot wrote: »
    http://www.newstalk.com/Public-has-until-this-evening-to-submit-feedback-on-proposed-speed-limits-for-Dublin-city-centre

What are your thoughts? I reckon the speed vans will be having a field day there!

There'll be no speed vans. They don't enforce the current 50 limit in residential areas so aren't going to enforce the 30. They'll still be on the N4 between the M50 and M4 while ignoring the speed limit being exceeded in the residential roads a few hundred metres away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,270 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A bit of cop on would be better that if someone was doing say 70kph plus in a 50kph area they got a 3 month ban and points. Driving along the quays in Dublin and trying to keep the car at 30kph is very dangerous in my opinion, cyclists end up passing you either side and pedestrians are more inclined to jump out and risk passing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Driving along the quays in Dublin and trying to keep the car at 30kph is very dangerous in my opinion, cyclists end up passing you either side and pedestrians are more inclined to jump out and risk passing.

Regardless of if you are driving at 30 or 50 cyclists will ultimately pass you on the quays as you get stuck in traffic and then traffic moves, this means you will have to overtake them anyway. During this process cyclist could very easily overtake you eitherside as well.

Your argument doesn't hold up,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,270 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cabaal wrote: »
    Regardless of if you are driving at 30 or 50 cyclists will ultimately pass you on the quays as you get stuck in traffic and then traffic moves, this means you will have to overtake them anyway. During this process cyclist could very easily overtake you eitherside as well.

Your argument doesn't hold up,

I'm talking about when when doing the maximum 30kph, I've yet to see a cyclist pass me at 50kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A bit of cop on would be better that if someone was doing say 70kph plus in a 50kph area they got a 3 month ban and points. Driving along the quays in Dublin and trying to keep the car at 30kph is very dangerous in my opinion, cyclists end up passing you either side and pedestrians are more inclined to jump out and risk passing.

30km/h or whatever instead of 50 makes a serious difference :

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Meanwhile, in Belfast they're considering ditching the 20mph limit in the city centre because no one has been caught, and it just slows down traffic.

gctest50 wrote: »
    30km/h or whatever instead of 50 makes a serious difference :

It looks like the driver there didn't react at all! :mad: You'd think as soon as you heard any kinda noise you'd slam hard on the brakes. He actually rolls to a stop, over the girl.

Fcuk me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

CiniO wrote: »
    Through most of Europe residential areas are marked with this sign:

Spielstrasse%2BSchild.gif

In most countries speed limit in those areas is 20km/h.

This is Ireland though. Different gearing and engines to those on mainland Europe mean that these low speeds are impossible for Irish drivers to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Zcott wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Belfast they're considering ditching the 20mph limit in the city centre because no one has been caught, and it just slows down traffic.

Low speed limits results in slow traffic shocker.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    This is Ireland though. Different gearing and engines to those on mainland Europe mean that these low speeds are impossible for Irish drivers to achieve.

Super-special-snowflake gearbox that does 80km/h on main roads, 80km/h through towns on the way and 60km/h on Sundays ?

Generally speaking, in fairness, driving at 30km/h, I'm either over revving in 2nd gear or under in 3rd. Neither are favourable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

They're on about introducing it as far out as D5. I'm just not sure the aul dears on the Howth road are going to be comfortable going that fast.

Joking aside there is only so much you can do, yes 30KPH is safer, so is 5MPH with a man walking in front waving a flag or making cars out of cotton wool. It's all well and good making these rules but someone needs to enforce them. There is also more and more of a deferral of actually using one's fecking brain to mindless rules. I'd be much close to 15-20KPH coming around the corner where I live as the kids play there and people wander across without looking from the DART station. However on the approach through the estate the road is clear and the visibility is such that 40-50 is perfectly safe, unless of course some wanker hasn't parked in an idiot spot, same moron probably was doing 25KPH through the estate at all times, being 'uber safe' right up until the point they stopped and got out.

In short teach people some proper hazard perception rather than introducing stupid blanket policies.

...........It's all well and good making these rules but someone needs to enforce them. ..............

They could do it the other way - if you hit someone in the 30 zone, they could just interrogate the car computer and see what speed you were doing

PocWT56.jpg

They could do it the other way - if you hit someone in the 30 zone, they could just interrogate the car computer and see what speed you were doing

Again sometimes it's not safe to do 30 in a 30/50/60 etc. Sometimes it's safe to do 80 in a 30. While it's perfectly reasonable to put in blanket limits that still allow people to make progress, imposing 30 when what we should be saying is you need a level of competence and hazard perception is a waste of everyone's time and frankly may be counter productive as people try and use the excuse, I was only doing 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea, it's only for resedential areas so should improve the lives of local people living in the areas. 30 Km/h is more than enough speed to be driving through resedential areas. No person should be driving at 50 km/h in a housing estate any where in Ireland.

Problem is that the people who drive too fast through residential areas still won't slow down. The only way to slow down people is through enforcement and that isn't going to happen.

I rarely drive in Dublin and while I know that there is a 30 limit I've only seen the signs on the quays, not on any of the other roads affected and not a single road user was obeying it. So DCC can brag all they like about improving road safety by reducing the limit, in my extremely limited experience it hasn't made the slightest difference.

No one obeys the 30KPH limit on the quays it's completely unworkable. You're much more likely to hit some idiot on the quays than in a housing estate. There is rarely an incident on the quays. A 30KPH limit is going to do absolutely nothing to deter the 2 or 3 boy and girl racers we have and do absolutely nothing to change the speed I drive at on roads on the estate where I live, which is frequently under 30.

I popped out at 3am to pick up a parcel the other day. Is anyone seriously suggesting I needed to do 30 through the estate at that time in the morning? I was a danger doing 40-45 was I?

We need to stop this moronic setting of rules which we'll never enforce. If a number of people on the estate want a 30, 20 or 5 KPH limit fair enough, write a letter to the council and have that limit if the majority of residents agree, blanket impositions in stupidly large areas is just a complete waste of time - at best it's a bit of a revenue generator for the gatso vans.

Experience tells me it's not the boy racers that are the problem in housing estates, it's some of the idiots who have kids themselves.

It's absolutely absurd to suggest that speed limits are set by what the majority want in an area.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Experience tells me it's not the boy racers that are the problem in housing estates, it's some of the idiots who have kids themselves.

It's absolutely absurd to suggest that speed limits are set by what the majority want in an area.

I'd rather that than see blanket limits enforced. What's more absurd, a small number of areas setting their own limits in there only little area where they live or even less people imposing a blanket limit as far as 10 miles outside Dublin CC as it might get their name in the papers.

Incidentally why are the children of Raheny and Kilbarrack worth of more protection than the children in Santry? This plan makes absolutely no sense.

Again sometimes it's not safe to do 30 in a 30/50/60 etc. Sometimes it's safe to do 80 in a 30. While it's perfectly reasonable to put in blanket limits that still allow people to make progress, imposing 30 when what we should be saying is you need a level of competence and hazard perception is a waste of everyone's time and frankly may be counter productive as people try and use the excuse, I was only doing 30.

EDRs will show braking, steering efforts so should bring a quick halt to that

GUDgqCh.jpg

oLqIJn0.jpg

8zWGFb2.jpg

• Advertisement

EDRs will show braking, steering efforts so should bring a quick halt to that...

The point I'm making has been missed again so I'll clarify it again. Apologies that I've not been clearer. The Irish way seems to be to defer more and more to a set of rules rather than teaching people to be situationally aware.

One might be driving at 30 through a housing estate and have a small child run in front of them hit them at 30 and say 'Well I was doing 30'. The point being that imposing a 30 limit does nothing to teach people about hazard perception, which is shockingly bad in this country. In fact I contend it may even be counterproductive and lead to less safe driving due to people believing that 30 is a 'safe' speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Pinch Flat wrote: »

This is actually the most retarded thing I have ever read on this site.

All of After Hours included.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Cars should be electronically set to go at least 140km/h at all times, people would pay a lot more attention if they had to clench their arse and zig zag through their housing estate every morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

EDRs will show braking, steering efforts so should bring a quick halt to that
    Jesus.
    big-brother-is-watching-you-graphic.jpg

Population control will not come about because of war, but in the guises of health and safety and appealing to our egos.

Thankfully, my car earlier today. :D
    hqdefault.jpg
    Tzardine wrote:

*whoosh*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Tzardine wrote: »

I'd hazard a guess and say it's a piss take due to the number of people on this forum who claim it's not possible for them to drive this speed, the car cuts out and other mad excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Wibbs wrote: »
    *whoosh*
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess and say it's a piss take due to the number of people on this forum who claim it's not possible for them to drive this speed, the car cuts out and other mad excuses.

Yeah totally missed that.

Advertisement