Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aftermarket car radio DIN connection help

Options
  • 24-08-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 Toyota yaris and I have removed the car radio and bought a new one. Upon initial connection, I am able to power the radio on, sound is good, radio works ! However once the radio is shoved into the dash, the signal disappears.

The radio is from China which has a DIN connection which is different to the existing iso connection. I removed the old connection and I am left with two bare wires. I placed the wires in a coax connector, with one being the active, one seemingly being the ground. As soon as the radio is shoved into the dash, signal disappears/becomes poor.

Troubleshooting the signal, if I plug either wire into the aerial socket in the radio it works , which seems like they are both active connections.

It seems like a grounding issue.

I have ordered a bare wire to DIN connector to rule out the connection, any help on how to ground the aerial would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the radio power up with the antenna unplugged?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭monsterdev

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Does the radio power up with the antenna unplugged?

Sure does, can play CDs etc no problem, its just the radio signal issue.

Bump

Try this,
    disconnect your aerial and see if the radio works.
    if it does,push it into the dash and see does the signal drop.
    if it does then you know your aerial is not connected correctly.

The signal does drop.
    How do I make connection properly ?

I have two wires, both give the radio a signal and I deem them active. Should both be inserted into the din connector ?
    There is a metal bar behind the radio which could be used as a ground point.

• Advertisement

I havent messed around with them in a while but the cable coming from the aerial should look like this. (top right)
    not just wires
    $_3.JPG?set_id=2

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

The aerial cable is co-axial, you need both of them. Make sure they are both connected to the aerial input on the radio but they can't be touching each other, the core & the outer wiring must be kept separated. If they are touching each other at all it will not work.

After further diagnosis, it really seems like its nothing to do with the aerial.

Scenario:
    Radio out connected - hiss
    Radio pushed into dash, no sound at all
    Radio pulled out - hiss
    Aerial connected, signal

Literally as soon as the radio is pushed in there is no sound at all, but if I pull it out I get a hiss/signal depending on whether the aerial is connected or not.

The issue is now not the connection, but the radio itself. It did not come with a cage, would it be getting interference from the dash ?

Take it to a professional car radio installer & ask them to fit it.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Take it to a professional car radio installer & ask them to fit it.

Two people have now failed to install it, said what we did was correct

• Advertisement

So the radio is faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

So it looks like your aerial connection is the problem (might sound like stating the obvious but we're still here....).

Many things can act as an aerial (coat hanger anyone?) and many things can stop an aerial performing correctly.

I would try and connect a completely new aerial mast AND cable and see how that went. If it still behaves the same i.e. when the chassis of the radio is inserted (touching?) the chassis of the car the signal goes I would suggest radio is issue. Just my 2c as they say.. Good luck.

Advertisement