Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Y6 boot loop

Options
  • 24-08-2016 12:28am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a family member with a very new Huawei Y6 that managed to brick itself when sitting basically doing nothing, on power up, it basically now just loops the Huawei logo every few seconds.

Ended up sending it back under warranty to get it sorted, the impression is that the hardware is fine, but somehow, it lost its programming.

So, when we get it back, how can I make sure that if it does the same again, we can fix it locally, these things update too often to be comfortable trusting it not to do the same again.

There's supposedly a recovery option, the Huawei site that's built into the phone comes up with a 404 error, and the HiSuite software that's supposedly the other option doesn't support the Y6, so there's no easy recovery that I can see.

Is there a way to unbrick this thing in future if it does this again?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

Turn fully off
    Hold volume up and power button
    Should go into stock recovery
    Then factory reset
    And should be back too normal(just reinstall apps etc)

After that install or set a screen lock, so if you have it in your pocket or that and hit or press buttons a screen comes up rather than buttons doing something or opening apps

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

thanks, that was the process I tried, but it didn't work, I got an android logo with a Huawei web address, which gave a 404 error when I went to it, and connecting it to the laptop and HiSuite didn't work either, which is why it's ended up going back under warranty, and why I want to try and work out how to avoid this kiss of death scenario in future. It's in a flip case with a cover, so the potential for inadvertent key presses is reduced,

Clearly something very untoward happened to the phone, and it lost a lot more than just how to start up, it will be interesting to see what comes back from repair.

Another idea
    Download an official zip
    Extract it
    Copy to dload on your sd
    Power off phone
    Hold in all three buttons
    Black screen with Huawei comes up

It’s a forced upgrade
    I mess with roms all the time and it’s the only way I get back to stock

If I could have found an "official" zip, that was an option, but I couldn't find one that I was certain of. I was wondering if I can create an image of the phone when I get it back, so that I have a simpler recovery path in future, but I have to admit to being a bit of a neanderthal where Android is concerned, I have enough hassles keeping up to date with what Microsoft are doing with Windows. but I think I'm going to have to get more into Android before long. Oh Joy!

Thanks

• Advertisement

I was the same with android, the only with I suppose anything new is the more you use it the more learn about it. The biggest safety net I have learned with android is a custom recovery, then if you or the phone messes up, into recovery and start again (or flash a custom rom)

Had a quick look on the back up idea you want (I never done it) and it’s a custom recovery, which means doing a few things as you can’t just put a custom recovery onto the phone

I’d say the phone will come back like factory and you will have to put in google account, reinstall apps and settings

Many thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for, and seeing the file name, I now understand why I couldn't find it, the name is obscure and not indicative of a "European" load. Such is life.

I'm expecting it to come back with a factory load, and nothing else, and that's my biggest worry, in that if it loaded the factory settings and worked, they may not have spent much or even any time looking for why it bricked in the first place, so I may get an unreliable phone back, which won't be a good scene, as it's my wife's backup, for when she's looking after 3 grand children, and when she has all 3 in the car, a working phone is a very big security blanket!

At the moment, I don't have a lot of choice, the phone as such is not a bad phone, it does pretty much everything that my Note 2 does, at a fraction of the price, and it's not that much slower, so in terms of bang for buck, it's not bad, as long as it is reliable, and that is my worry, given it bricked itself at only just outside the 28 day swap with no questions timescale.

Just downloaded that firmware, I shall have a look at that and see where it takes me, who knows where it will end up. Thanks for the help, for sure it will mean a bit less stress going forward.

Interesting, just got on to the Huawei site (the second link) at the second attempt, and it looks like there's a new ROM been released within the last week, it looks like there are now differences between the 2 version names, so I will have to do some digging to see what they have been up to.

No bother on the help.

I know the names throw you off, I usually use a Spanish site as they have loads on my model of Huawei and their versions work no problem on my phone

Usually they are a great phone, I’ve owned two of them and now three other people I know own different models, but like any electrical item I suppose then can break.

If the phones slow or that, I find big apps like facebook etc can cripple a lower end phone.

When you get the phone back go into

Settings
    Update
    Check for update
    Then you should have the latest software

So, the phone is back, albeit with a new mainboard (changed IMEI), so there was clearly something very fundamental with the one that went back.

Now the fun starts. HiSuite is without doubt the worst, buggiest and downright appallingly bad phone software I have ever had the misfortune to have to use, and my mobile phone experience goes back to 1990, so I've seen more than a few over time.

Restoring a backup taken by HiSuite requires the phone to be in developer mode, which is a pain to do, as Huawei's own instructions are wrong, and incomplete. I did eventually manage to get it to do a restore, but then the fun starts.

Hisuite can and does completely mess up the user data, especially the contacts.

It duplicates records, but there's no contact information in the record, just a duplicate name.

the contact merge option is a total shambles,it merges contacts that have NOTHING in common, not names, or numbers, so the end result is a total corrupt mess.

It loses characters off the user name, so that the names are no longer accurate.

What I'm hoping is that someone can recommend a viable, reliable user data manager package that can manage, (and ideally edit) contact information on a PC, so that the data can be worked on and updated, as it's a pain to do on the phone.

Anyone any suggestions please, as I now have to sort out the mess that HiSuite has made of the contact file, and without viable contact data that can be both backed up and restored, this phone is just an expensive paperweight, which could well end up going back to CPW, if I can't get reliable backup and restore of contacts, the phone is useless, and will be going back for a full refund. If there's a viable alternative, I will give it a second chance, if there is not, then Huawei are dead as far as I am concerned.

Cheers

• Advertisement

You should have set up a Google account when you got the phone.

This should link all the contacts to the account and resync when you log into any phone

There is a google account already created for the phone, so I will have to have a look at what it actually set up and did, the main use so far was to get appropriate apps

Thanks

Advertisement