Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need invoice buying a car in the UK?

Options
  • 23-08-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a used car in the UK and VRT it here. A friend told me last week I need an invoice - so I need to buy from a trader rather than privately..thats a shame as private sales cost less from what I can see.

Anyone know the situation on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Surely you'd have to get some bit of paper anyhow, otherwise the seller could claim you stole the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its a silly requirement as Revenue neither have the will or resources to go chasing the seller in another country whether it be private or trader. It was intended to be proof of the date of purchase when the car entered the country with regards VRT penalties.

Just create an invoice yourself and make sure you put the date of purchase on it and it matches the date on the ferry tickets as they have been known to look for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

a hand written invoice will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

thanks for that lads - I did it before and got a VRT refund, so that was another downside of buying privately..less chance of proving the purchase price with a hand written invoice..but I might chance it maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jinghong wrote: »
    thanks for that lads - I did it before and got a VRT refund, so that was another downside of buying privately..less chance of proving the purchase price with a hand written invoice..but I might chance it maybe..
    Why don't you just print out an invoice in the local shop, and have the person sign and date it?

• Advertisement

great idea, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

less chance of proving the purchase price with a hand written invoice..but I might chance it maybe..

Isn't VRT based on the Irish OMSP not how much you paid in a different country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Del2005 wrote: »
    Isn't VRT based on the Irish OMSP not how much you paid in a different country

Yeah it is. You could get an invoice for £100 Euro for a £20000 car but it's not going to change the amount you pay in vrt, as for the date surely that would be on the official car documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

THe sign in the VRT centre says to write one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't bother putting the purchase price on the invoice, nobodies business what you bought it for.

• Advertisement

last time I imported a car and paid roughly 2k in VRT

Sent in the invoice to Wexford and got around 600 back

not to be sniffed at

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

last time I imported a car and paid roughly 2k in VRT

Sent in the invoice to Wexford and got around 600 back

not to be sniffed at

Can you expand on this please? What invoice?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement