Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European companies covering Irish cars

Options
  • 23-08-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

For years I've heard that european insurers can cover you in Ireland if they're will as, I'm sure, Irish companies can do on mainland Europe. The issue is my googleFu is weak on this subject.

I've had a look at the sticky and I've not found any euro insurers there. Just wondering if anybody has any experience in dealing with european companies insuring your Irish car in Ireland? What's the experience been like? Is it better or worse? And probably most importantly, do you have recommendations for particular insurers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

pajopearl wrote: »
    For years I've heard that european insurers can cover you in Ireland if they're will as, I'm sure, Irish companies can do on mainland Europe. The issue is my googleFu is weak on this subject.

I've had a look at the sticky and I've not found any euro insurers there. Just wondering if anybody has any experience in dealing with european companies insuring your Irish car in Ireland? What's the experience been like? Is it better or worse? And probably most importantly, do you have recommendations for particular insurers?

While its possible to do it, it would be extremely difficult to put it into action.

Firstly there is the language barrier.

English is not the primary language in most European countries, all your own policy documents, proof of bonus etc will be in English. I know Irish based insurers will not accept mon English Ncb's unless they come with a verified translation into English so I'd imagine European based insurers would request the same.

There is then the difficulty in getting a quote in the first place (unless you are fluent in another language.) The same would apply for renewals, mid term adjustments etc.

There are differing laws relating to limits of indemnity on the continent so while the policy might be suitable for the home country it may be useless in the event of a claim over here.

The easiest option would be for uk insurers to offer their products over here, similar laws, same primary language, same time zone.

Why do you think none of them do?

Why do you think there have been no new players introduced to the Irish market over the last 15 to 20 years that have made any kind of dent in the market AND remained in business?

Simple answer is the costs of doing business here.

From the inflated claims market to the high salaries and cost of living.

Imo for European insurers it is not worth the hassle of writing small amounts of business premium wise vs the potential outlay for claims they will be exposed to.

Advertisement