Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving a motorhome from Ireland to The Netherlands

Options
  • 23-08-2016 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Anyone made this trip, say to the Hook of Holland/Rotterdam?

Looks like these are the main options (all times/distances approx, reasonable connections assumed)

1) Ferry from Ireland to France (Cherbourg) / drive to the Hook of Holland.
    17 hour ferry crossing / 800km ish drive from Cherbourg to the Hook of Holland.
    Adv: 2 legs, 1 ferry trip
    Dis: 1 expensive ferry trip, 8 hours driving and lots of diesel, long time to get there

2) Ferry from Ireland to Uk (Holyhead) / drive across UK to Hull / ferry from Hull to Rotterdam (P&O).
    4 hour ferry crossing / 400km ish drive from Holyhead to Hull / 12 hour ferry crossing (overnight)
    Adv: Minimum amount of driving (4 hours), fast time to get there, arrive refreshed at 9am!
    Dis: 2 ferry trips/fares

3) Ferry from Ireland to Uk (Holyhead) / drive across UK to Harwich / ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland (Stena).
    4 hour ferry crossing / 550km ish drive from Holyhead to Harwich / 9 hour ferry crossing (possibility of an overnight)
    Adv: Fast time to get there, arrive refreshed at 8am!
    Dis: 2 ferry trips/fares, 6 hours driving

4) Ferry from Ireland to Uk (Holyhead) / drive across UK to Dover / ferry from Dover to Calais / drive to the Hook of Holland.
    4 hour ferry crossing / 600km ish drive from Holyhead to Dover / 90 min ferry crossing / 350km ish drive from Calais to the Hook of Holland
    Adv: 2 shortish ferry trips so fares cheaper
    Dis: 10 hours driving and lots of diesel, long time to get there

Any other route worth considering?

Any thoughts / considerations / comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Genuine question, why are going by motorhome at all, as you appear to be so preoccupied by the cost of diesel and the amount of time you have to drive? For me the journey is part of the trip and to be enjoyed and is never considered a commute.

I've sailed directly into Hook of Holland in the past and would be my preferred route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Benbecul97 wrote: »

Looks like these are the main options (all times/distances approx, reasonable connections assumed)

Dis: 1 expensive ferry trip, 8 hours driving and lots of diesel, long time to get there

2) Ferry from Ireland to Uk (Holyhead) / drive across UK to Hull / ferry from Hull to Rotterdam (P&O).
    4 hour ferry crossing / 400km ish drive from Holyhead to Hull / 12 hour ferry crossing (overnight)
    Adv: Minimum amount of driving (4 hours), fast time to get there, arrive refreshed at 9am!

3) Ferry from Ireland to Uk (Holyhead) / drive across UK to Harwich / ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland (Stena).
    4 hour ferry crossing / 550km ish drive from Holyhead to Harwich / 9 hour ferry crossing (possibility of an overnight)

4) Ferry from Ireland to Uk (Holyhead) / drive across UK to Dover / ferry from Dover to Calais / drive to the Hook of Holland.
    4 hour ferry crossing / 600km ish drive from Holyhead to Dover / 90 min ferry crossing / 350km ish drive from Calais to the Hook of Holland

Our Danish friend goes the hook of holland when he goes home a couple of times a year he thinks thats the best route.

How about Dublin Liverpool, the tickets are usually cheaper and 120km less driving in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Genuine question, why are going by motorhome if you are so preoccupied by the cost of diesel and the amount of time you have to drive?

For me the journey is part of the trip and to be enjoyed and is never considered a commute. For what its worth I've sailed directly into Hook of Holland in the past and would be my preferred route.

Not sure how you read that but I'm far from preoccupied by the cost of diesel and the amount of time I have to drive. I am simply pointing out the advantages / disadvantages of each route, as I seem them.

Not sure of your circumstances but in a two week holiday, and travelling with kids, I want to get to my destination asap, and once there explore an area within a reasonable radius of that. Its about having a holiday and not coming back exhausted after driving around like a lunatic for two weeks!

From where did you sail directly into the Hook of Holland?

Our Danish friend goes the hook of holland when he goes home a couple of times a year he thinks thats the best route.

How about Dublin Liverpool, the tickets are usually cheaper and 120km less driving in the UK.

Thanks Paddy!

From where does your Danish friend sail directly into the Hook of Holland?

Dublin-Liverpool (P&O) is an option but from a quick check it seems similiar in price to Dublin-Holyhead (IF) but twice as long - 8 hours, albeit 120km less driving in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Ive done Harwich Hoek a number of times by car.
    Nice drive down by motorway and overnighter on Stena line to Holland.
    I used ti get the night sailing from Dublin or Dun Laoire and land in UK around midnight up until 2am and then motor through Britain when the roads were quiet.

• Advertisement

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Ive done Harwich Hoek a number of times by car.
    Nice drive down by motorway and overnighter on Stena line to Holland.
    I used ti get the night sailing from Dublin or Dun Laoire and land in UK around midnight up until 2am and then motor through Britain when the roads were quiet.

Thanks Ben!

So you probably got to Harwich at about 8am then, wait the day in Harwich and then get the night crossing from Harwich to the Hook of Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Not sure how you read that but I'm far from preoccupied by the cost of diesel and the amount of time I have to drive. I am simply pointing out the advantages / disadvantages of each route, as I seem them.

Not sure of your circumstances but in a two week holiday, and travelling with kids, I want to get to my destination asap, and once there explore an area within a reasonable radius of that. Its about having a holiday and not coming back exhausted after driving around like a lunatic for two weeks!

Sailed with Stena from Harwich via Holyhead.

The reason I asked, was that there is a recurring theme in your post of; "expensive", "cheaper", "loads of diesel".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I've gone to Amsterdam.

leave Dublin at 21:00. Irish Ferries. Arrive Holyhead approx 00:30 and drive to Folkestone. Stop for a couple of hours rest somewhere north of London.
    Cross over via tunnel around 9.30am and arrived Amsterdam about 17:00 with a couple of short stops between Calais/Amsterdam.

lot of driving but quickest way to get there..

Campsite in Amsterdam was just across river from Central Station!!

Thanks Paddy!

Dublin-Liverpool (P&O) is an option but from a quick check it seems similiar in price to Dublin-Holyhead (IF) but twice as long - 8 hours, albeit 120km less driving in the UK.

He goes holyhead - harwich - hook of holland.

Liverpool ferry is long alright probably wouldn't work with kids or if you're a poor sleeper. If you're a good sleeper then you take the evening one, sleep and arrive in the early morning avoiding all the traffic. For our dates camper with 2 adults, 3 kids its €200 cheaper than holyhead.

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Sailed with Stena from Harwich via Holyhead.

The reason I asked, was that there is a recurring theme in your post of; "expensive", "cheaper", "loads of diesel".

Ok thanks!

I think most people planning a journey, with many different routes to get there, will weigh of the pros and cons of each route. Not preoccupied with costs / time but they are factors in any long journey and its "normal" to evaluate them for each possible route.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I've gone to Amsterdam.

leave Dublin at 21:00. Irish Ferries. Arrive Holyhead approx 00:30 and drive to Folkestone. Stop for a couple of hours rest somewhere north of London.
    Cross over via tunnel around 9.30am and arrived Amsterdam about 17:00 with a couple of short stops between Calais/Amsterdam.

lot of driving but quickest way to get there..

Campsite in Amsterdam was just across river from Central Station!!

Thanks Seaswimmer!

Similiar to my option 4 above but using the Channel Tunnel from Folkstone instead of the Ferry from Dover.
    Its an option to travel through the UK at night to avoid heavy traffic,

Thanks Paddy!

He goes holyhead - harwich - hook of holland.

Liverpool ferry is long alright probably wouldn't work with kids or if you're a poor sleeper. If you're a good sleeper then you take the evening one, sleep and arrive in the early morning avoiding all the traffic. For our dates camper with 2 adults, 3 kids its 200 cheaper than holyhead.

Thanks Paddy!

Wow, that is a big price difference. You going to the Netherlands?

Thanks Paddy!

Wow, that is a big price difference. You going to the Netherlands?

No, to hampshire to visit friends its 31C there today!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Thanks for starting this thread - its been a holiday plan knocking around in my brain. Think would combine it with WWI sites in NE France/Belgium and maybe even a dip into a corner of Germany. Probably a 3 weeker if going for it. There's an impressive campsite in SW Netherlands, think its Camping Duinrell, Wassenaar, big waterpark, so that would be one of the campsites (2 boys 7 & 10).

In my innocence on our first trip (car & caravan, 2 smallies one only 6 months old) we went Rosslare/Fishguard, drove to Dover/Calais and then back to Vendee. Cheap on ferries but bashed on tolls in France & burned a nice sup of fuel (I know we're not meant to talk about that.... ;-) ). & I was a ghost for about another 3 days - never again basically..... But if staying in that corner of France & around I think it would be doable & economical.

Just back from France, went Cork Roscoff, Cork is a dream compared to Rosslare (coming from Limerick). Think if I was doing UK again (or land bridging) I'd try to go Dublin. Maybe a bit slower to London and beyond but prob not much in it. Fishguard or Pembroke to Severn Bridge seems to take an eternity compared to skipping across England. Limerick Dublin a breeze compared to Limerick Rosslare.

Great time in Brittany, would say will be there again before the aforementioned Beneluxing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

I'm planning some thing similar.

Travelling Rosslare to Cherbourg on an overnight ferry.

Drive from Cherbourg to our destination in approx 7 hours.

We are lucky our kids can do and are good at long distance driving. I'm hoping to drive as far as we can initially and then stop for a break of an hour or more and hoping to finish off the next leg of the journey then.

We will have, on the good advice of another long distance driver with kids, a goodie bag of snacks and drinks in the car and tablets charged.

For our return I have decided to drive approx 4 hours from Netherlands to France and booked into a French site for a few days so that we will have a shorter trip to port on our return.

HTH

Advertisement