Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo Thailand trip coming up. Any tips?

Options
  • 22-08-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,
    I'll be backpacking solo around Thailand in less than a month's time and I was hoping that someone out there could maybe give me a few tips on places to go/ places to avoid. I'll be there for three weeks, starting off in Bangkok, but aiming to head north via Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai. After that, I haven't really figured it out. I don't want to be too strict in terms of an itinerary, though. The whole point of the trip is to just go with the flow, relax, see some sights and meet some people. I haven't booked accommodation yet, any recommendations for hostels in Bangkok (good for backpackers) starting off? I'm 30 y/o, it's my first backpacking trip, and I would just like to use the trip as an opportunity to relax, meet new people, and enjoy some good Thai food.
    Also, I got vaccine for tetanus, diphtherie, pertussis and poliomyelitis and got some antimalarial tablets. Any other vaccines that would be recommended?

Thanks very much in advance! G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

g_dublin wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'll be backpacking solo around Thailand in less than a month's time and I was hoping that someone out there could maybe give me a few tips on places to go/ places to avoid. I'll be there for three weeks, starting off in Bangkok, but aiming to head north via Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai. After that, I haven't really figured it out. I don't want to be too strict in terms of an itinerary, though. The whole point of the trip is to just go with the flow, relax, see some sights and meet some people. I haven't booked accommodation yet, any recommendations for hostels in Bangkok (good for backpackers) starting off? I'm 30 y/o, it's my first backpacking trip, and I would just like to use the trip as an opportunity to relax, meet new people, and enjoy some good Thai food.
    Also, I got vaccine for tetanus, diphtherie, pertussis and poliomyelitis and got some antimalarial tablets. Any other vaccines that would be recommended?

Thanks very much in advance! G

Use hostel world for your accommodation, id only book your first night or so in Bangkok and then go with the flow. Generally speaking I've found it best to just chat to people in the hostel about where you want to go. Personally when I did it I flew from Don Muang airport to Chiang Mai as it was really cheap but there is plenty of options (trains and buses) to get there.

In terms of timings have you decided how long you want to spend up North in the three weeks? Are you going to any islands? Some people hate Bangkok but I stayed a few nights on each other my visits and I was never short of interest8ng people and things too see. Khaosan Road is the mecca for backpackers but hostels in Bangkok are generally excellent quality.

As for tips, when you arrive in the airport and want to get a taxi go straight to the bottom level to the public taxis, way cheaper, other option is the public bus but it can take a while especially on the back of a long flight.

In regards to dorms id usually suggest going into an 8 or 10 bed dorm. It's usually the best option to meet people. If it's your first time in a hostel id suggest just sitting in the communal area, people generally come to you to chat which makes it easier to adapt and meet people.

From experience to more you plan the more there is for things to go wrong. Id usually outline a rough itenary off where you wanna go and then when you get there your not stuck to a schedule. Thailand is an excellent place to start as the internal travel options are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I went o a short holiday there last year. We had everything booked for 3 weeks. I thought chiang mai was the highlight, a lot more laid back than the more southern places. If I was going back I would look into a place called pai. Pai is about an hour from chiang mai. Not sure whats so special about it but literally every backpacker we met mentioned that they were going there, so i feel like I missed out on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Don't plan too much. It's best to book your first 2-3 days and go with the flow from there. Def go visit the islands and give yourself 2-3 days for each - you could try coincide a full moon party in there if you visit koh phangan and then after you recover, hop to koh tao for snorkeling or diving. Or relax on the beaches on Ko phi phi. I'd possibly avoid phuket and Ko Samui as they are very touristy and you may as well just have gone to magaluf. Most tourist spots will have English staff/menus but take photos of your food as you go along to help you order in places with no English. Carry toilet paper. Stock up on suncream as I remember it was really hard to buy on one of the islands - can't remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 g_dublin

Thanks very much for your replies. I will be doing the Islands (not all) so will factor in some time for those. And thanks for Tips re Pai, taxis, Khaosan rd, and photos of food (good idea).

I went o a short holiday there last year. We had everything booked for 3 weeks. I thought chiang mai was the highlight, a lot more laid back than the more southern places. If I was going back I would look into a place called pai. Pai is about an hour from chiang mai. Not sure whats so special about it but literally every backpacker we met mentioned that they were going there, so i feel like I missed out on that one!

Pai is incredible apparently. I found it ok but nothing incredibly special.

As for OP the id agree it's best to not plan to far in advance have an idea of what you want to see and just go with the flow. The best experiences I've had is meeting a bunch of other backpackers and they tell you about these places more off the beaten track. If your looking at doing the islands such as Koh Tao/Phangan/Samui id recommend flying to Surat Thani, there is a shuttle service that brings you too the pier and then on to islands. Saves flying to Samui which costs more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

If you are in Chiang Mai already and still time on your hand, you also could explore Laos. Beautiful country and easy to get into, you just need 20? Dollars for the Visa at the border. Vientiane or Luang Prabang are then the go to cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Sorry to butt in, whats the weather like this time of year? Sept\oct?

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'd thought about Luang Prabang in Laos, if it's just 20$ for visa on arrival, then I will definitely make a point of going there, possibly mid week, though.

It's meant to be rain season. So I'm not sure what exactly that entails. Will it just be a passing shower for an hour or two each day, or will it be a downpour? Not sure what to expect, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

Rain season basically means it will downpour really heavy but only for a short period of time, then maybe drizzle on for a bit. Then back to warm and humid weather.

• Advertisement

It's meant to be rain season. So I'm not sure what exactly that entails. Will it just be a passing shower for an hour or two each day, or will it be a downpour? Not sure what to expect, really.

I've been there twice in August/September. Had glorious weather for about 70% off my trip with a day here and there of torrential downpours, as in it rained all day. A couple of heavy showers mixed in but there easy to deal with. Really depends but you'd be very unlucky you have terrible weather for a 3 week visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'd thought about Luang Prabang in Laos, if it's just 20$ for visa on arrival, then I will definitely make a point of going there, possibly mid week, though.

The visa is $35 plus a $1 handling fee if you fly into Luang Prabang. Going overland would be a ludicrous journey if you only have 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I'm going to go against the grain here and say don't bother with hostels - they are basically a rip off

The hostels charge you 3-500B per night to share a room with 4-16 other people.

A decent hotel can be had on Thailand for 4-500B per night.
    Own room, Air Conditioned, Own bathroom.

You can mix with other backpacker types in the day time/evenings... But there is no need to share their fleas and snoring whilst at night!

I don't see you mentioning hepatitis A+B vaccines in your list... my understanding is that its highly recommended that you should get them.

On the other hand its usually recommended that you do not need to take anti-malarial - unless you are going trekking in deep jungles. The side effects can be pretty bad...

geecee wrote: »

You can mix with other backpacker types in the day time/evenings... But there is no need to share their fleas and snoring whilst at night!

I don't agree at all, I've travelled Asia a couple of times, first time I stayed in hotels, its a lonely soulless trip after a little while, and the common areas is where you pick up some of the best advice. I agree about the price but a happy medium is to get a private room in a hostel every now and again.

It's the OPs first trip going solo, its daunting enough but staying in a hotel reduces the ability to meet people drastically. Also I've stayed in a lot of those 300-500 baht a night hotels. They are decent but usually away from the main areas or the main scene with the exception of hotels in say Samui where the is an abudenance of lower cost accommodation

Advertisement