Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic garage build

Options
  • 22-08-2016 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi ...[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]If anyone can assist / advice, I am looking to get a rough guide price for a domestic garage build. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]The spec is as follows: [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Approx. 8.5 x 5m with insulated floor, automated roller door, brick facade to match the existing house, cavity block construction and plastered outside (rubbed up joints inside), two double-glazed windows and a single door to the side, hipped & tiled roof, lights & sockets, concrete footpath around garage (approx 3ft wide), extending of underground service ductings (approx. 50m), 1.5m wide pebble pathway approx. 50m long. [/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Property is based in north Kildare. There is vehicle access to side of house to allow for transport of materials. [/font][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thank you in advance![/font][/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Does that include planning permission ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BryanF wrote: »

Might not require planning if to the side of the dwelling and under a certain size?
    Is it still 25Sq. M for a garage?

Edit - just seen the measurements. Planning may be required so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maniatv

Thank you folks for the replies.

It will require planning permission as it will be over 25 sq.m. However, hopefully that should not be an issue as it will be at back of house and not interfering with any neighbouring properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BryanF wrote: »

Yes.
    Its a rough estimate, erring on the most costly side as there are a lot of bits that will add to the cost over a normal garage, as well as some bits not listed:
    Soak hole for rainwater etc.
    It was just to show that it wont be done for 5k plus the VAT

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 maniatv

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Calahonda52's pricing is not too far of the mark! [/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So far, I have quotations of 42K, 60K and 78K!!![/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

**** me sideways! Get a groundwork firm, brickee, roofer and go from there man. That's extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭tech

just applied for planning for a 28" x 24" garage will be getting prices soon from bulders

hope to complete for 30k!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What height will it be, Tech, 6 inches?

kceire wrote: »
    Might not require planning if to the side of the dwelling and under a certain size?
    Is it still 25Sq. M for a garage?

Edit - just seen the measurements. Planning may be required so.

Out of interest i have planning for a garage on my soon to start house, no dimension of garage is mentioned in application, but it does include garage in grant. Drawing shows 10mx8m, but does not say size, would I have any issue if I increased the size? I know size on drawing as I have the cad drawing and it roughly scales in relation to the building

• Advertisement

madmac187 wrote: »
    Out of interest i have planning for a garage on my soon to start house, no dimension of garage is mentioned in application, but it does include garage in grant. Drawing shows 10mx8m, but does not say size, would I have any issue if I increased the size? I know size on drawing as I have the cad drawing and it roughly scales in relation to the building

It would be a material alteration to the granted planning application, so the Arch/Eng/Sur may not be able to sign off on it, and it may require retention permission in the future.

I assume external dimensions are on the drawings as these would have been required for the application to be validated.

It would be a material alteration to the granted planning application, so the Arch/Eng/Sur may not be able to sign off on it, and it may require retention permission in the future.

I assume external dimensions are on the drawings as these would have been required for the application to be validated.

Na nothing is on it, which is why I'm a bit miffed about how it's included in it because no where is there a size it's just there. And size indication is in place only in relation to new build.

madmac187 wrote: »
    Na nothing is on it, which is why I'm a bit miffed about how it's included in it because no where is there a size it's just there. And size indication is in place only in relation to new build.

Your call to make I suppose. I have seen Planning Enforcement Officers scale drawings to confirm what was granted previously.

Maybe get advice from who is signing off on the build, they will be in the best position to determine if its a material alteration.

Your call to make I suppose. I have seen Planning Enforcement Officers scale drawings to confirm what was granted previously.

Maybe get advice from who is signing off on the build, they will be in the best position to determine if its a material alteration.

I think so, will see my only excuse would be that the drawing says do not scale, that's their excuse in work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

tech wrote: »
    just applied for planning for a 28" x 24" garage will be getting prices soon from bulders

hope to complete for 30k!

The vast majority of garages we price come in at 30k incl Vat.

The spec is generally 3m wide x 4m long, pitched slate roof; fair faced blockwork inside; non slabbed ceilings; surface mounted electrical; plastered outside; path surround; connecting to existing storm systems; 2 nr 1200 x 1200 windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭parishsavings

Anyone have a rough price on a 8m x 6m garage, 3.5m height, cavity wall insulated, profile sheeting for roof including a few perspex skylights, electric roller door 2.4 x 2.4, pvc door and 1 window. Thanks!

Anyone have a rough price on a 8m x 6m garage, 3.5m height, cavity wall insulated, profile sheeting for roof including a few perspex skylights, electric roller door 2.4 x 2.4, pvc door and 1 window. Thanks!

60k?

60k?

Doesn't sound right. I got a quote for a similiar shed albeit smaller and it was 18K which included a wc

Doesn't sound right. I got a quote for a similiar shed albeit smaller and it was 18K which included a wc

Then you know have your quote. Get 2 more to compare.
    If you got a quote of €18k for a 48 Sq. M garage, insulated cavity and I assume insulated floor slab, electric rollers and windows and doors all supplied and fitted then I'd say grab that builder asap.

Got a quote 30k

• Advertisement

Got a quote 30k

Sounds cheap.
    What specification is included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

What's the breakdown of materials to labour on a garage build, 60% materials 40% labour? Or am I way off?

Sounds cheap.
    What specification is included?

8m x 6m garage, cavity wall insulated, plastered inside and out, tiled roof, roller door, not sure if floor is insulated
    I only need profile sheeting for roof, no need for plaster inside, only catch is he has priced a smaller roller door than i need

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭tech

Well how is everyones build going. Just finished mine noe 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Citroen2cv

tech wrote: »
    Well how is everyones build going. Just finished mine noe ��
    Put up some pics if you can, please.

Advertisement