Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LC281 LIT Automobile Technology down 85 points

Options
  • 22-08-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Resurrecting this interesting post to get more feedback.

My son was offered this course today. He started an Apprenticeship Program in Car Sales 6 weeks ago, which he really likes. He's thinking of deferring this course until next year so see how the Apprenticeship goes. He's more interested in Sales than Mechanics.

I noticed that the CAO Points dropped from 285 last year to 200 this year. That's a significant drop in points, which is a concern. Can anyone shed any light as to why it's down so much ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The apprenticeship might get you where you want to go in the short term but college will stand to you for the rest of your life and its only 2 years. 2 years is nothing when you will be working for the next 45 years.

Even if you decide to do a complete U turn on your career path having a previous college education in an unrelated topic still looks good to employers. They see a college qualification as an employees ability to learn and graduate rather than what they actually learned during the course.

Also as im sure you are aware cars are becoming more and more electronics/computing related. The college course will probably cover the less mechanical things which you may enjoy and its better to get this experience early. The apprenticeship i assume will probably not cover this in as much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

I know it's a bit late, but my only concern would be that the course is a Level 6, while LC285 - Mechanical and Automobile Engineerring (Level 7) is only 230 points. Not that the Level 6 is a bad thing by any means, but it may just take him a little longer if he wanted to peruse a Level 7 in future.

Don't let the low points put you off, as these are calculated by demand and not by the quality of the course. For example, computer science in DIT was 210 points in 2007, and is now at 450 points.

If he's more interested in sales and has an apprenticeship already, I would think he should defer the course and give it a shot - whats the worst that could happen?

Advertisement