Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casement Speech On Radio Last Night (Sun 21/08) - Can't Find It

Options
  • 22-08-2016 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Was driving home in the car last night and there was someone reading out what I guess was Casements speech from the docks before he was hanged. I'm nearly positive it was on RTE1 but when I go to look for it on RTE player there's no sign whatsoever! Did anyone else hear it or know where I can find it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

mikefoxo wrote: »
    Was driving home in the car last night and there was someone reading out what I guess was Casements speech from the docks before he was hanged. I'm nearly positive it was on RTE1 but when I go to look for it on RTE player there's no sign whatsoever! Did anyone else hear it or know where I can find it??

It was a speech written by George Bernard Shaw for Casement to use at his trial. Owen Roe read out the speech last night (RTE1) I think. More about it here: http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/bernard-shaw-to-roger-casement-put-on-the-performance-of-your-life-1.2584577

I don't think it would have saved Casement from his fate as his actions were clearly an act of treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Thank you Del.Monte. I don't think it would have saved him either. I wouldn't call myself a nationalist by any stretch but it was quite a powerful piece of oratory

Advertisement