Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO didnt update my application, Received no offers!

Options
  • 22-08-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So in my initial application I said I did the Leaving Cert in 2012 in stead of 2013 by accident. A silly mistake but I contacted them in February/March and they emailed me saying they fixed it. I thought it was sorted.

But to my horror Ive logged on this morning and it still says I took my LC in 2012 and I received no offers, despite just getting my course by 5 points.

Im trying to get through to them now but is there anything I can do? Im freaking out here

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

TheStook wrote: »
    So in my initial application I said I did the Leaving Cert in 2012 in stead of 2013 by accident. A silly mistake but I contacted them in February/March and they emailed me saying they fixed it. I thought it was sorted.

But to my horror Ive logged on this morning and it still says I took my LC in 2012 and I received no offers, despite just getting my course by 5 points.

Im trying to get through to them now but is there anything I can do? Im freaking out here
    Forward their own email back to them as proof that this was supposedly sorted out long ago. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Forward their own email back to them as proof that this was supposedly sorted out long ago. ;)

Can only email them through a form on their website they dont seme to have an actual email address. Phone lines are too busy.

Even if they can sort this out what are the chances of me getting my course now? They can hardly remove someone elses place cause my points got updated can they?

Can only email them through a form on their website they dont seme to have an actual email address. Phone lines are too busy.

Even if they can sort this out what are the chances of me getting my course now? They can hardly remove someone elses place cause my points got updated can they?
    They won't remove anyone. Likelihood is that at least one person on course will not take up their offer; even if all do, there are few courses so tight they can't cope with one extra person when there's a legitimate reason.

They won't remove anyone. Likelihood is that at least one person on course will not take up their offer; even if all do, there are few courses so tight they can't cope with one extra person when there's a legitimate reason.

Only a 15 person course and It went up from 300 points to 350. I got 355 in 2013 so I am panicking big time here. Worked for 2 years straight after dropping out to afford college and now this happens

Only a 15 person course and It went up from 300 points to 350. I got 355 in 2013 so I am panicking big time here. Worked for 2 years straight after dropping out to afford college and now this happens
    Ok, that's tight, but in my experience CAO don't make all that many mistakes for the numbers they deal with, and when they do, they make every effort possible to fix it.

If you have email confirmation that they told you this was fixed, you're in a good position ... keep after them until you get someone to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Keep trying to make contact today or tomorrow.

Keep trying to make contact today or tomorrow.

Im on to them now anyway hopefully its getting sorted

They said itll be amended and Ill be treated as a priority for the second round of offers

So since they obviously know its their own fault and are amending it, what happens if I dont get the course in round two?

They said itll be amended and Ill be treated as a priority for the second round of offers
    Well, here's hoping ...

In fairness, I'd say they're on to the college saying "please take this person if you can at all", my experience is that if the mistake is on their part, they try to fix it .... if the mistake is the student's, it's obviously different.

Fingers crossed! ;)

Well, here's hoping ...

In fairness, I'd say they're on to the college saying "please take this person if you can at all", my experience is that if the mistake is on their part, they try to fix it .... if the mistake is the student's, it's obviously different.

Fingers crossed! ;)

Yeah they seemed nice on the phone anyway so Im confident it'll get fixed. Thanks for your help man I appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sadcao

Hey there, I advise you ring them and send the email on... you will be told most likely the most they can do is prepare your profile for second round. I made a mistake on my CAO aswell and I received no offers. All I can do is hope some course on my CAO has a space..... :( I am quite nervous!

• Advertisement

sadcao wrote: »
    Hey there, I advise you ring them and send the email on... you will be told most likely the most they can do is prepare your profile for second round. I made a mistake on my CAO aswell and I received no offers. All I can do is hope some course on my CAO has a space..... :( I am quite nervous!

Well the problem here is that this is their mistake not mine. Ive talked to their higher up people and rang Carlow IT and both have confirmed that the mistake is from the CAO and Ive been placed on priority for round 2.

Not sure what good that does me if everyone accepts the course but if that happens Im sure I have every right to take legal action as they are essentially taking a year of my life and I might not have the points for the course next year (Only got it by 5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

hey how'd you get on? fingers crossed and hope you got your offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well the problem here is that this is their mistake not mine. Ive talked to their higher up people and rang Carlow IT and both have confirmed that the mistake is from the CAO and Ive been placed on priority for round 2.

Not sure what good that does me if everyone accepts the course but if that happens Im sure I have every right to take legal action as they are essentially taking a year of my life and I might not have the points for the course next year (Only got it by 5)

If it is their screw up (and I'm not a legal expert, so not suggesting this is how it will pan out) the likely course of action would be to offer you a place for next year if there was no room on the course for this year, which would be automatically deferred, and you would just go through the deferrals process the same way as a student who had chosen to defer. This is often the case for students who get a place after the appeals.

Not to worry folks, I got the offer this morning.

Best part was realizing for the first time that I got 350 points and not 355 points. For 3 years I thought I got 355.
    The course went down to 350 points from 370! The entire year I thought the course was 300 points to boot as thats what is on the Carlow It website.
    Think Ive used up all my luck for the year!

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement