Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points question

Options
  • 21-08-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

tricky kinda question so il make it short as possible :)

iv currently 6 points on the full car ( cat B) and am 85% sure i got flashed for speeding today .

is it true if you go over 7 on a first motorcycle ( Cat A) permit its revoked ? (even though all the points where racked up in a different category )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Points go on your drivers licence number, you don't have a separate licence number for each endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

i know that del :) but is my permit for the bike license gone now seens iv more than likely racked up more than 7 ? , i know its 12 for a full .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Contact the RSA

They'll give u the definitive answer.

thanks just id ask here before i ring tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

If you've 6 points on the car, purely for your own safety you might want to reconsider the bike.

• Advertisement

If you've 6 points on the car, purely for your own safety you might want to reconsider the bike.

they where both seatbelt :pac: both no more than 100m up the road :D good thing bikes dont have them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've 2 sets of points, both for speeding up as I left a 60 zone into a 100 zone. 1st 72 in a 60, the other 94 in a 60 zone. Both straight roads with very few houses and a clear view for a mile or so. Nowadays with vans it can be easy get points and in theory be in the wrong but really and truly you were no more a danger to other road users as a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I've 2 sets of points, both for speeding up as I left a 60 zone into a 100 zone. 1st 72 in a 60, the other 94 in a 60 zone. Both straight roads with very few houses and a clear view for a mile or so. Nowadays with vans it can be easy get points and in theory be in the wrong but really and truly you were no more a danger to other road users as a mouse.

Was it the speed vans that got you? Don't you have to be within about 20-30 metres of them breaking the speed limit for them to catch you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If I had 6 points, I would make sure I didn't get flashed for speeding. It's very easy to spot the vans and you get lots of time to slow up and they even put up warning signs that they may be there.

Twice for no seatbelt at the same spot? so maybe lightning does strike twice then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

There was a Garda speed van outside Cherrywood Business Park in Dublin the other day in a 60 zone. I was overtaking and was doing 75-80 when I spotted it. It was about 150 metres away when I got back down to below 60. Judging by other threads the range on these things isn't actually that big so I should be fine but if I get done I'll know that the range is much more than what has been said here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

MuddyDog wrote: »
    There was a Garda speed van outside Cherrywood Business Park in Dublin the other day in a 60 zone. I was overtaking and was doing 75-80 when I spotted it. It was about 150 metres away when I got back down to below 60. Judging by other threads the range on these things isn't actually that big so I should be fine but if I get done I'll know that the range is much more than what has been said here!

let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Was it the speed vans that got you? Don't you have to be within about 20-30 metres of them breaking the speed limit for them to catch you?

Yup vans. One was an unmarked Garda van and I didn't see it. The other was a go safe van and in my own stupidly I believed it couldn't get me as I draw away from it so continued to speed up. They can get you from behind, no questions. Thank god I only had 2 points a piece.

Advertisement