Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Tipping in restaurants

Options
  • 21-08-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi, considering how popular this website is I imagine there must be some people who work in restaurants here. Lately I pay for my restaurant bill with debit/credit card and usually tip on the machine too. The waiter/waitress asks what's the total you want to make it (e.g. if bill is €25, I might say €28) and they just type 28 into the machine. Others have an option to "Enter Tip Amount" which I do myself. My quesstion is, in both scenarios do the waiting staff actually get the tip? Or is this dependent on the restaurant. I would hate to think the owners are pocketing that money. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerome77

My experience:

I can remember being in a very snazzy hotel, a castle none the less in this country and going to pay for meal by card, and asking the staff member if I can tip by card and she said as clear as day, "Don't bother, we never get it".

I was shocked and glad of her honesty, and to this day I never tip by card. Should I have no cash, there is no tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PathMatcher

Well now I'm even more confused! Anyone else working in restaurants can share your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Jerome77 wrote: »
    My experience:

I can remember being in a very snazzy hotel, a castle none the less in this country and going to pay for meal by card, and asking the staff member if I can tip by card and she said as clear as day, "Don't bother, we never get it".

I was shocked and glad of her honesty, and to this day I never tip by card. Should I have no cash, there is no tip.

This.

I always make sure to put the cash directly into the hand of whoever served me - it's the only way to make sure they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

I own restaurants.

Cash tips are taken directly by staff and they get 100% of it. I don't enquire about it and i employ nice people so I've never had an issue with it being unequally shared.

CC tips are more complicated as my staff get 100% of it but they are processed so the tax man takes his cut so minus that they get it in full.

Most good restaurants operate by making sure their fellow workers are looked after and earn a decent living.

Advertisement