Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cillian Willis and Sale Sharks

Options
  • 21-08-2016 9:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Willis is taking legal action against Sale after he was knocked out but allowed to play on. Article in one of the sunday papers (sunday mail), found this on twitter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I don't really see what he hopes to gain?
    He would have to prove he was knocked out, that the medical team knew this and that he didn't want to play on and management didn't give him any option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He would have to prove he was knocked out, that the medical team knew this and that he didn't want to play on and management didn't give him any option.

Are you sure? They're the experts, not him. Surely all he has to prove is that they should have ensured he was replaced regardless of what he thought/wanted himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He won't need to prove half of that to prove they were negligent. He just needs to prove that the doctor who saw him failed to treat a concussion, and given he played on that's fairly obvious. After that all he needs to prove is that their inability to adequately treat him resulted in his retirement, there'll be plenty of room for argument there.

I'd imagine this will go away pretty quickly, it doesn't suit anyone for this to go to court. I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear about this again. If it does go to court I wouldn't be surprised if some very well qualified lawyers magically appear from London to help Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He won't need to prove half of that to prove they were negligent. He just needs to prove that the doctor who saw him failed to treat a concussion, and given he played on that's fairly obvious. After that all he needs to prove is that their inability to adequately treat him resulted in his retirement, there'll be plenty of room for argument there.

I'd imagine this will go away pretty quickly, it doesn't suit anyone for this to go to court. I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear about this again. If it does go to court I wouldn't be surprised if some very well qualified lawyers magically appear from London to help Sale.

You're probably right: TOL had a similar case with the IRFU regarding the sled injury and we never heard about the outcome following the initial report of legal action. I imagine PRL will throw their might behind a defence if it goes to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're probably right: TOL had a similar case with the IRFU regarding the sled injury and we never heard about the outcome following the initial report of legal action. I imagine PRL will throw their might behind a defence if it goes to court.

Imho, they're not similar at all, other than it being a rugby player taking a case against their employer. TOL had a case against the IRFU, iirc, a strap broke in their piece of kit.

Willis is trying to prove negligence in how he was treated by a medic during a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

molloyjh wrote: »
    Are you sure? They're the experts, not him. Surely all he has to prove is that they should have ensured he was replaced regardless of what he thought/wanted himself?

But he has to prove that he suffered as a result of their negligence. He'd have to show that whatever harm he suffered might have been avoided if he'd been taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

But he has to prove that he suffered as a result of their negligence. He'd have to show that whatever harm he suffered might have been avoided if he'd been taken off.

It ended his career, he retired on medical advice.

A Neurologist could prove causation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

It ended his career, he retired on medical advice.

A Neurologist could prove causation.

He'd have to prove it was that particular impact and not a build up over his childhood and adult career , I'm sure many a neurologist could prove that too

If he wins the pay out will be significant due to his handicap on the labour market. He's only 31, potentially missing out on 20 years of rugby?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Jamie Cudmore is also suing Clermont for negligence in last year's Champions Cup. Can't find the article now, but apparently he was taken off after a bad collision, totally flunked the HIA in the dressing room, was told by the doc to hit the showers, then a minute later told he was going back on after another lock got injured. Was allowed to play again in the final 2 weeks later and was again kept on the pitch after being concussed... then stood down for 3 months afterwards.

Nathan White retires today following concussion against Leinster in March 2016.

Nothing to suggest his situation was similar to that of Cillian Willis and Cudmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Zzippy wrote: »
    Jamie Cudmore is also suing Clermont for negligence in last year's Champions Cup. Can't find the article now, but apparently he was taken off after a bad collision, totally flunked the HIA in the dressing room, was told by the doc to hit the showers, then a minute later told he was going back on after another lock got injured. Was allowed to play again in the final 2 weeks later and was again kept on the pitch after being concussed... then stood down for 3 months afterwards.

This was discussed on Monday's Off The Ball rugby podcast:

<iframe class='nt_media_embed' frameborder='0' height='60' style='width: 100% !important; height: 60px !important;' src='//www.newstalk.com/player/embed.php?mediaType=podcast&id=159355'></iframe>

EDIT: Uhhhh.... yeah I have no idea what to do with that Gobbledygook, it's on this page

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/

scroll down until you see: MNR: Boudjellal selling up and Cudmore suing Clermont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Alot of Ls and Is in that name Cillian Willis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

buck65 wrote: »
    Alot of Ls and Is in that name Cillian Willis

Illuminati

Coincidence?

I think Willis has good prospects!

Sale were clearly negligent allowing him back on the field. I would like to run one of these! :D

Advertisement