Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting/geog/physics

Options
  • 20-08-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I am most likely going to repeat externally as the chances of getting in to my course is low. I would repeating with the hope of doing 7 honours just because I am abit vary of how maths will turn out.

I am doing bio chem bussiness. Ag science and economics.

Acc,geog and physics are the shortlisted subjects that I can find myself picking up but I dont have much info on them.

I heard accounting has very low A rate and its a bit difficult if your not good at maths, but I believe I am good enough(got c1) and wont mind working with numbers. But then again, I am not hearing too much positive feedback towards the subject.

Geog is just simple rote learning, lots of it and as you can see I already hve quite few essay subjects, business and economics. It prob is the easiest of them 3, but I am not entirely sure, I got a b in jc geog but thats a whole diff ballgame compared to lc, enjoyed it, but having 3 long broad learning subjects?

Physics I am hearing exam papers your best friend, but also its very hard and challanging, I said im good at marhs but dont have a strong aptitude for it.

In any of those subjects I am looking for an À grade. So which of those would be most suiteable and doable in your opinions . Also any advice on studying them ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InTheNight

I am most likely going to repeat externally as the chances of getting in to my course is low. I would repeating with the hope of doing 7 honours just because I am abit vary of how maths will turn out.

I am doing bio chem bussiness. Ag science and economics.

Acc,geog and physics are the shortlisted subjects that I can find myself picking up but I dont have much info on them.

I heard accounting has very low A rate and its a bit difficult if your not good at maths, but I believe I am good enough(got c1) and wont mind working with numbers. But then again, I am not hearing too much positive feedback towards the subject.

Geog is just simple rote learning, lots of it and as you can see I already hve quite few essay subjects, business and economics. It prob is the easiest of them 3, but I am not entirely sure, I got a b in jc geog but thats a whole diff ballgame compared to lc, enjoyed it, but having 3 long broad learning subjects?

Physics I am hearing exam papers your best friend, but also its very hard and challanging, I said im good at marhs but dont have a strong aptitude for it.

In any of those subjects I am looking for an À grade. So which of those would be most suiteable and doable in your opinions . Also any advice on studying them ?

Thank you

Pretty sure Accounting has one of the highest A rates actually, was definitely the easiest subject I did during the LC.

I'd be a bit wary about picking up geography, I repeated the LC this year and I haven't heard of a single person getting an A1 either time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

I got A1s in both Geography and Accounting however I would probably advise that Geography is the better subject to do in a year!

Accounting requires an immense amount of practise of each account examinable to achieve a high grade! Which of course is time consuming!

Geography on the other hand! While there is a lot of learning for essays it doesn't require as much time! Like for Physical Geography for example if you simply learn everything about the Burren which is basically common sense you are pretty much sorted for 1 30 Mark question!

If you have a good memory and enjoy rote learning - do Geography.

If you enjoy working with numbers - do Accounting! Personally I loved Accounting more than Geography!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad727

I got an A1 in accounting this year. I read that the amount of A1s achieved this year in accounting dropped by 4% compared to last year. In my opinion Accounting is all about practise yet you have to ensure you properly understand what is going on also. There is no point learning a method of how to do something without actually understanding the reason behind it. In recent years the exam has become more unpredictable and has contained workings which have not featured before. That being said if you practise accounting and ensure you understand everything as you go, the workings should be manageable on the day. Another aspect of the paper which is tricky is the theory. I would recommend that you learn all the theory directly from the marking scheme. It needs to be word perfect and it is the theory that distinguishes between the A1/A2/B1 student. In my opinion accounting is an enjoyable and manageable subject yet there were people in my class who could not get their heads around. I think it is one of those subjects where it would be best to give it a few weeks trial in 5th year before deciding on it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I got an A1 in accounting this year. I read that the amount of A1s achieved this year in accounting dropped by 4% compared to last year. In my opinion Accounting is all about practise yet you have to ensure you properly understand what is going on also. There is no point learning a method of how to do something without actually understanding the reason behind it. In recent years the exam has become more unpredictable and has contained workings which have not featured before. That being said if you practise accounting and ensure you understand everything as you go, the workings should be manageable on the day. Another aspect of the paper which is tricky is the theory. I would recommend that you learn all the theory directly from the marking scheme. It needs to be word perfect and it is the theory that distinguishes between the A1/A2/B1 student. In my opinion accounting is an enjoyable and manageable subject yet there were people in my class who could not get their heads around. I think it is one of those subjects where it would be best to give it a few weeks trial in 5th year before deciding on it 100%.

But would you recommend accounting?, could it easily be taken up and studied in a year along with my other subjects ?
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Just wondering...why you plan to repeat with a completely different set of subjects?
    I'd imagine you'd have a better chance of improving your grade in the subjects you have already studied for 2 years than attempting to learn completely new subjects in less than a year while also being an external candidate.

• Advertisement

Just wondering...why you plan to repeat with a completely different set of subjects?
    I'd imagine you'd have a better chance of improving your grade in the subjects you have already studied for 2 years than attempting to learn completely new subjects in less than a year while also being an external candidate.

I am doing the same subjects I did this year, just picking one new one, but just researching on which one to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just making a suggestion as an alternative to repeating your leaving. You could apply to a post-leaving cert college (PLC - you apply to the college, not through the CAO), for a year long course in the discipline you hope to study at 3rd level. With PLCs, if you score high in your exams you can apply straight to college. It means you have to work hard for the year, but it gives you good preparation for the college workload.

Any subject is going to be tough to study in one year. Between geography and accounting, neither is easier. IMO the best way to study accounting is by learning your accounts and then constantly practicing them. They are time consuming.

Geography has a large curriculum for LC, but most aspects are understandable with hard work. Don't expect to be able to rote learn everything; geography questions vary and there is no 'one size fits all' answer.

Either subject will take a lot of work from day one. If you've a preference for maths/numbers, I'd lean towards accounting.

Edit: Physics is almost an extension of maths. The three subjects you can choose between are very different.

Hmm.. I think after some very good advice from ye lot and teachers, I most likely am leaning towards going with my 6 again, maths bio chem ag econ business, try to improve each one of them. Would that be considered a wise choice for someone who cant afford less then 580.
    Picking up any subject is a huge workload in a year and I know that from last year, when I picked econ. I know exactly where and why I went wrong im each subject and I can definetly improve on each of them.
    Thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Geography is similar to JC except more in detail, I found it fairly good, joined halfway through fifth year after dropping Spanish. Project work is good too for extra points. Ended up with an A1, exam questions are also your best friend.

Physics was my favourite subject, lots of choice and the first four questions are always the same more or less, I have online flashcards I made for the entire coarse which helped tremendously (pm me and I'll send you them, great for definitions!)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I am doing the same subjects I did this year, just picking one new one, but just researching on which one to pick.

My bad. I only do physics out of your shortlist and personally think it would be a stretch to do the course in a year. Not sure about the other 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement