Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What does "Acceleration Reduced" message on dashboard mean?

Options
  • 20-08-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

"Acceleration Reduced" and the red warning light came on my dashboard, about a minute after I began driving today. Any idea what could be the problem? (Never had any issues or warning signs up to this.)

I just drove to supermarket and petrol station and back. I never got above 60 kpm, so I never got to see how it did at higher speeds/acceleration. It seemed ok on the lower speeds up to 60, but I stopped at lots of lights, so its hard to tell really. My "low on fuel" warning message replaced Acceleration Reduced a minute later. The red warning light stayed on. A mile later, I filled up on petrol, hoping it was just a glitch in the lights on the dashboard. The "Acceleration Reduced" message came back on immediately after I left the petrol station and the supermarket. Drove straight home (3 miles) and the car did seem a big sluggish, but hard to really tell for sure, as there are 50 kpm speed limits all around where I live. Don't want to take it further afield and test it out at higher speeds, in case I break down and need a tow home.

Car is a 2007 Ford Focus automatic. Very well maintained. Never given me an ounce of trouble. Put a new battery in last year, other than that, no "under the bonnet" repairs have been needed or done. Passed its NCT with flying colours a year ago. Does this sound like spark plugs, alternator, starter issues? Or a fuel line issue? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭White Ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    "Acceleration Reduced" and the red warning light came on my dashboard, about a minute after I began driving today. Any idea what could be the problem? (Never had any issues or warning signs up to this.)

I just drove to supermarket and petrol station and back. I never got above 60 kpm, so I never got to see how it did at higher speeds/acceleration. It seemed ok on the lower speeds up to 60, but I stopped at lots of lights, so its hard to tell really. My "low on fuel" warning message replaced Acceleration Reduced a minute later. The red warning light stayed on. A mile later, I filled up on petrol, hoping it was just a glitch in the lights on the dashboard. The "Acceleration Reduced" message came back on immediately after I left the petrol station and the supermarket. Drove straight home (3 miles) and the car did seem a big sluggish, but hard to really tell for sure, as there are 50 kpm speed limits all around where I live. Don't want to take it further afield and test it out at higher speeds, in case I break down and need a tow home.

Car is a 2007 Ford Focus automatic. Very well maintained. Never given me an ounce of trouble. Put a new battery in last year, other than that, no "under the bonnet" repairs have been needed or done. Passed its NCT with flying colours a year ago. Does this sound like spark plugs, alternator, starter issues? Or a fuel line issue? Cheers.

The car is limp mode and will need to be scanned for faults.

Usually limp mode means a fuel or air problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Cheers White Ninja. Thanks for that. Hopefully it's a clogged air filter and its an easy enough fix. I don't do any car repairs myself, so any idea what that would set me back in parts and labour at the garage? I've been going to the same one for 5 years and they've always done right by me, but I'd appreciate a ballpark figure, if you know of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭White Ninja

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Cheers White Ninja. Thanks for that. Hopefully it's a clogged air filter and its an easy enough fix. I don't do any car repairs myself, so any idea what that would set me back in parts and labour at the garage? I've been going to the same one for 5 years and they've always done right by me, but I'd appreciate a ballpark figure, if you know of one.

For an air filter? E15 for the air filter, they'd prob fit it for free, it's a 5 min job, but if you can change a light bulb you can change an air filter, its ridiculously easy, just do it yourself.
    If its is the air filter and that garage services your car, I'd seriously be questioning them about when the filter was last changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Should be easy to change the air filter yourself yourself, Halfords would be open today and have one, here's the basics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Could also be oxygen lambda sensor had similar issue with my golf with the edf light coming on it basically protects the engine, their should be 2 lambda sensors and around 70 each depending on car not sure how much a garage will charge you for fitting them though.

Also EGR valve is a potential issue, it recirculates exhaust fumes back through the engine for better efficiency and lower emmisions. Unless the air filter has tar in it and no oxygen can pass through i doubt that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Don't think i've ever seen a car go into limp mode from a dirty air filter.

Advertisement