Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the amount of study you do greatly increase the amount of points you get?

Options
  • 20-08-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

First of all I know everyone is different and everyone has different ways of studying. I am going into 6th year and I would like people to comment on when they started serious study and what they got in terms of points.Does starting at the start of september make much of a difference to someone starting at christmas for example?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People are different, for some, slow and steady wins the race, for others a mad rush at the end suits them.

Then there are people who just do not have the foundation to build on, be it a poor memory, a low literacy level, poor or spasmodic attendance at school, difficulty understanding some concepts, whatever, no amount of study will get such a person past their natural barriers.

All somebody can do is their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The one piece of advice I can give from last year is never say to yourself anything along the lines of "I will start going over that section on Monday".

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

The more study you do, the better you'll do. And if you still don't do well, at least you'll know you tried your best, and will have learned how to apply yourself to something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be clear on what 'study' is for you.
    Discover what method helps you retain information and stick with it.
    Making your own notes/mind maps/etc., or explaining a section to another person is an excellent way to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

I studied most of the year from about January, mostly because dcg took up a lot of time, two hours hw a and two of study a day then on and a bit more on weekends. Exam papers are key, got 595.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 echolima

I studied from January on, found going to the library on Saturday mornings worked best for me. I kind of just did homework during the week, 9-12 study on Saturday and Sundays off. Worked out alright, ended up with 545. That said everyone is different, try out different methods and see what works for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Points are meaningless.

I'm in college, got enough points to get my course and it's my dream job. But nobody parades their points around on a shirt and if they do they probably are pretty miserable in life.

My attitude is; you either study early because you need to learn it first, or if you already understand it you study late because you need to revise it. I was lucky enough to have paid attention, rarely had illness keep me out, and most of it went in in class. I revised well after the mocks and only knuckled down less than a month until the Leaving Cert. But even though I got into the course I wanted, and did well, I didn't get as much points as I know I could have. All that mattered to me was that I got in.

Have a goal, and then study as much as you need to achieve that goal. If you don't know how much you need to study, best idea would be to start exam papers and gauge them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I got my first choice today. Study is obviously going to increase the amount of points you get but there are other major factors such as school attendance, ability and willingness to pay attention, ability to remain calm and 'test well' as well as your ability to retain information in class and from prescribed work (homework etc)
    You need to learn quotes for English, diagrams for subjects such as Biology and Geography as well as learning to answer the question asked, you'd be surprised how many people don't do that, and that's all you're asked. To answer the question. You get points for doing so better than anyone else because at the end of the day there are only a limited number of results, a few A's a few B's and so on.

Don't do what I did and end up spending more time asking questions regarding the LC on boards when it would have been more in my line to study.

I was lucky enough to have paid attention, rarely had illness keep me out, and most of it went in in class.

This cannot be said enough. Listen in class, do not miss days.
    Nothing more soul-destroying than 'studying' something you did not understand/missed class for in the first place.

If you do as above post suggests, it's almost all just topping up and revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

If you study properly, yes.

You hear a lot of people saying that they seem to do the same whether they study or not, and the chances are they just aren't studying properly. Look up study methods on youtube, experiment with different ones, and find out what works for you. (This is part of why you should start in 5th year and not 6th, because it takes a while to figure out).

I like this:
    intech.org/study-skills/The_PQRST_method.html

You also have to make sure you are getting enough sleep ( which for most teenagers is about 10 hours a night!) or you will ruin your memory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement