Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing commercial vehicle

Options
  • 20-08-2016 2:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Im currently driving a 2008 Landcruiser commercial. Thinking of changing it but no idea what to go for. Was thinking along the lines of a pick up,Id have the best of both worlds in that its a commercial vehicle but also capable of carrying more than 1 passenger. Thing is I wouldnt mind a better MPG after 3 years of driving a 3 litre guzzler. Not sure Im really into vans either is the thing though. Im an electrician so need something site friendly but with a bit of comfort too as will be my only vehicle.
    In short I want it all. lol. space comfort and a decent mpg. Not asking much!!
    Any ideas? I can bend a little on mpg but was hoping to even hit something in the region of 40mpg. A considerable step up from the 25 or so Im currently getting. Not looking to spend loads and ideally trade in my jeep against it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

you can get passenger jeeps under commercial tax now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

fits wrote: »
    you can get passenger jeeps under commercial tax now.

yeah was reading that. I dont work for myself though. Would that be an issue? having the option of a van that can be converted to a passenger car if and when needed would be great.

I dont know whether it would be an issue for you or not, youd need to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revenue are gone very strict on regulations around passenger vehicles being classed as commercials/crew cabs due to the abuse of the system over the years. If you don't have a VAT number of your own or it's not being bought through a business then it's going to be very difficult for you to avail of these.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Revenue are gone very strict on regulations around passenger vehicles being classed as commercials/crew cabs due to the abuse of the system over the years. If you don't have a VAT number of your own or it's not being bought through a business then it's going to be very difficult for you to avail of these.

thought as much. so steer clear of pick ups then.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

dbagman wrote: »
    thought as much. so steer clear of pick ups then.

It's not just pickups. You can get full size passenger SUVs that are classed as crew cabs too. The likes of the Land Rover Discovery for example, they have a Business Edition which is a 4 seater commercial. Your problem is satisfying Revenue's criteria on these vehicles and it sounds like you don't.

Advertisement