Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane III - front and rear discs and pads

Options
  • 20-08-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭

I will need to do front and rear brakes discs and pads soon (1.5 DCi 86 hatchback with a manual handbrake)

The rear discs for this car come with wheel bearings installed which makes them relatively expensive.

My main question is really about brands and quality. I have looked at Bolk and Eurobrake discs from mister-auto and also items from Planet Auto on ebay uk where the brand is not given.

1) Planet Auto
    Front and rear pads, front and rear discs for about 207 euro shipped

2) Mister-auto
    Front and rear pads, Eurobrake front discs and Bolk rear discs for about 242 euro shipped

3) Mister-auto
    Front and rear pads, Eurobrake front discs and Bosch rear discs for about 287 euro shipped

What I don't want to end up with is poor quality items (in particular the rear disc and bearings) with a short lifespan.

I am very light on brakes - the car has done 305k kms and is still on its original front pads and discs and rear discs. I replaced the rear pads a while ago as one of them delaminated from its backing plate

Is the Bolk and Eurobrake stuff fine and by getting Bosch would I just be a mug paying extra for a "good" brand name.

Even with "good" brands - I know a few people with VWs that have had numerous problem with "warped" brake discs, discs that were genuine parts bought from VW dealers.

Then again, maybe warped discs is a misnomer as per this article
    http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/brake_discs.html

Going back to the Megane - if anyone has done rear discs can the hub nuts be reused or do they have to be replaced once loosened. if they do need to be changed do rear discs come with new ones. Pain in the arse if I have to get them separately.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Have you priced these from Renault?

As main dealer spares go, Renault can be fairly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have you priced these from Renault?

Thanks, no I haven't priced them from Renault. My experience with Renault main dealer parts has been that they are usually v. expensive.

However here is a polish ebayer selling Renault rear discs and pads for what seems like a good price.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-RENAULT-Brake-Set-rear-discs-pads-Megane-III-432001539R-440605713R-/222003459196?hash=item33b06ff47c:g:8B8AAOSw5dNWo2sc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You should look up your part numbers on motrio.com and price the motrio part at a Renault dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I didn't wait to check the main dealer prices and instead went ahead and ordered from Eurocarparts in their 30% off sale (ends tonight). Got Pagid and Eicher stuff for about 230 euro delivered i.e. a bit cheaper than getting Eurobrake and Bolk stuff from Mister-Auto.

Also if the picture of the rear discs on the ECP website is accurate, new stub axle nuts are included.

Advertisement