Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - HTC one M8s stuck on boot screen

Options
  • 20-08-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I'm trying to recover my HTC one M8s which refuses to boot past the HTC logo screen. I can access the HBOOT and FASTBOOT screens but running recovery from there has been unsuccessful.

I've had a look at recovering it using ADB, RUU etc but I'm a bit out of my depth. I'm hoping someone with some experience in rooting, custom roms etc might be able to assist.

I'm happy to pay for assistance & can travel/meet anywhere in Dublin area this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'm trying to recover my HTC one M8s which refuses to boot past the HTC logo screen. I can access the HBOOT and FASTBOOT screens but running recovery from there has been unsuccessful.

I've had a look at recovering it using ADB, RUU etc but I'm a bit out of my depth. I'm hoping someone with some experience in rooting, custom roms etc might be able to assist.

I'm happy to pay for assistance & can travel/meet anywhere in Dublin area this weekend.

When you try to boot to recovery what happens exactly? Any error messages? What were you doing before it failed to boot? Was it running a custom recovery Custom rom? was it rooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

When I boot to recovery it gives this menu:

reboot system now
    apply update from adb
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    reboot to bootloader
    power down
    view recovery logs
    apply from phone storage
    apply from sd card

From this menu I've tried rebooting, Wipe/factory reset, power down, apply from phone.
    If I select apply from SDit searches for image but I'm not sure what type of rom/image to put on SD.

About an hour prior to failure phone started to forward all incoming calls to voicemail. I checked settings, seemed fine and restarted phone at which point it refused to boot past logo screen.
    Not rooted and running stock rom.

When I boot to recovery it gives this menu:

reboot system now
    apply update from adb
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    reboot to bootloader
    power down
    view recovery logs
    apply from phone storage
    apply from sd card

From this menu I've tried rebooting, Wipe/factory reset, power down, apply from phone.
    If I select apply from SDit searches for image but I'm not sure what type of rom/image to put on SD.

About an hour prior to failure phone started to forward all incoming calls to voicemail. I checked settings, seemed fine and restarted phone at which point it refused to boot past logo screen.
    Not rooted and running stock rom.
    And had you ever unlocked the bootloader or switched S-OFF?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    And had you ever unlocked the bootloader or switched S-OFF?

No to both.

I've installed HTC Sync but it says device not connected even though the phone appears in Device Manager (but not in My Computer).
    I've also installed JDK and Android Studio. If I try fastboot oem get_identifier_token from Command Prompt it says waiting for any device.

• Advertisement

I've installed HTC Sync but it says device not connected even though the phone appears in Device Manager (but not in My Computer).
    I've also installed JDK and Android Studio. If I try fastboot oem get_identifier_token from Command Prompt it says waiting for any device.

Are you in the bootloader screen when you run that command?

No, recovery screen with menu options as detailed above.
    I can try from other screens.

Same <waiting for any device> message when running with fastboot, hboot and recovery screens on phone

Same <waiting for any device> message when running with fastboot, hboot and recovery screens on phone

Are you running this from the folder you have the fastboot files in on your pc?

If you can manage to get the CID I would say you are best off flashing the stock RUU for europe.

Yeah I change directory in Command prompt to the folder containing fastboot.exe
    cd c:\Android\android-sdk1\platform-tools
    and then issue command
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    but all I get is
    < waiting for any device >
    I can't seem to get past this.
    Would it be a problem with drivers in Win10x64? Should I try it from a 32bit version of windows?

Is there a way of loading a rom onto the SD card and applying from recovery menu? If so rom or ruu?
    This site seems to have a lot of M8S specific downloads.

• Advertisement

Yeah I change directory in Command prompt to the folder containing fastboot.exe
    cd c:\Android\android-sdk1\platform-tools
    and then issue command
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    but all I get is
    < waiting for any device >
    I can't seem to get past this.
    Would it be a problem with drivers in Win10x64? Should I try it from a 32bit version of windows?

Is there a way of loading a rom onto the SD card and applying from recovery menu? If so rom or ruu?
    This site seems to have a lot of M8S specific downloads.
    I'm on win10 x64 and am using these adb/fastboot drivers. If I were you I would uninstall htc sync centre and install this. Restart your laptop and try again.

Once you can adb/fastboot to the phone you will be able to flash a rom.

I'm just leaving Donegal on way to Dublin so It'll be a a few hours before I can try that.
    Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    I'm on win10 x64 and am using these adb/fastboot drivers. If I were you I would uninstall htc sync centre and install this. Restart your laptop and try again.

Once you can adb/fastboot to the phone you will be able to flash a rom.

No luck with the clockworkmod driver you suggested but I found one here which worked.
    It was then a matter of trying a couple of RUU's before I got one which worked.

Many thanks for your assistance, I was on the verge of giving up on getting the phone working again.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Sorry, for bringing the old thread back up but my situation is identical.
    Warning I'm quite clueless about what's going on, I'm just following the instructions.
    So the question is: To press next or not to press? Image versions are quite different :rolleyes:

uxBoLZjg6-38cv8wZ2bttGMD2FPIcQ0Q1Qk6BcavLQ561y6S6KP2RIMfH86sOK0UAOUfP7DYL3tHk9Y=w1918-h946-rw

Advertisement